Sponsored by:

Paint Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 01:10 PM
George Stevens
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Paint Restoration

My 1992 RS in Guards Red is ideally in need of a re-paint, it is completely original so therefore has the usual scratches, stone chips and battle scars that most 8 year old cars have, plus it has faded especially on the roof, trunk lid and tops of the wings.

Ultimately I intend to give the car a proper glass out re-paint, but as I don't garage it, I use it daily and it would never win a concours! I am putting this off for the time being.

I have tried color-magic with some success but it doesn't last for long and already after six weeks it is looking faded again.

Can anyone recommend how to effectively restore the paintwork and which products really do work?
Old 01-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
George:

I had an '86 911 in Guards Red that the prior owner neglected (paint wise). The hood (bonnet) was very oxidized and slightly faded. Red tends to fade quickly vs. other paint colors.

After I got the car, I spent quite a few hours rubbing out the hood and other areas of the car with a Mequires cleaner type product (I had it around and just tried it for grins-and it worked) until I got rid of all the oxidization. Then I followed up with Blitz Wax. After I got the car looking much better, I kept polishing with 3M Hand Glaze when needed and rewaxing every few weeks. That process kept the paint pretty sharp for the rest of the time that I owned the car.

If your car is outside all of the time, not too many traditional waxes will hold up much more than a month. You'd have to try some of the synthetic waxes to get longer lasting protection, but those take more time to apply. If you don't have the time, a good detail shop might be able to bring back the shine and put off the need for a repaint. Porsche paint is pretty thick. But, you'd have to keep up with the waxing to avoid having the paint oxidize and fade again.

Good Luck
Jay
90 964
Old 01-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Brian Leduc
Advanced

I have had great luck with products from Griots Garage (www.griotsgarage.com).

I use there hand polish kit (cleaning clay, polish, and wax), and got outstanding results on my Black C2.

That said, if your paint is in pretty bad shape, it may take more than a hand polish. They actually reccomend an orbital polisher with some polishes and pads specfic for the use an orbital, but I just can't bring myself to try it.

FTR, I am in no way affiliated with Griots, but after years of getting their catalogs, and thinking it was all overpriced equivalents to Pep Boys stuff, I finally broke down and bought some of his stuff. They far exceeded my expectations. Their window cleaner (which smells suspiciously like alcohol) is the best I have ever tried.

I have also had great luck with variious Maguires products.

Good Luck,

Brian Leduc
Old 01-31-2002, 12:28 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check out <a href="http://www.carcareonline.com" target="_blank">www.carcareonline.com</a>
lotsa products, lotsa advice, a great point-of-departure...
Old 01-31-2002, 05:48 AM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

I have the same problem as you - Guards Red 1991 C2 that spends most of its time out in the open. I use Zymol and found that the HD cleans really brings the paint back to life and the Ital wax keeps it looking good for many months.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:51 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Thanks Steve

Although mind blowingly expensive, I have heard some really positive reports about Zymol and they do produce a more realistically priced starter kit

I think I might give it a go
Old 01-31-2002, 06:03 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George

I have just received the Victoria Wax from <a href="http://www.prestigecarcareproducts.com/" target="_blank">Presitge Car Products</a>. Higher Carnubia Wax content than the basic waxes from Zymol which means you have to apply it with your hands - your neighbours may give you a few funny looks..

Gives excellent protection and brings the colour up really well - mine is Guards Red too.

I think the cost of lite pre cleanser, HD cleaner shampoo and the wax was about £60 including postage.

Thought I'd give you another option.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:22 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Thanks for the tip Christer

by the way, make sure you post a picture of your car with it's new Boxster S wheels on.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:37 AM
anewbill
Instructor

Lightbulb

George,

I have had great results using Klasse All-in-One and High Gloss Sealant. It has held up great on my daily driver that also lives outside. The All-in-One does a fantastic job on oxidation. Here's the link where I got mine. <a href="http://www.properautocare.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.properautocare.com/index.html</a>

(No affiliation. Just a happy customer)
Old 01-31-2002, 10:50 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George

I will take some photos, although I am not entirely sure how good they are going to look. My main priority was getting Porsche OE wheels instead of those heavy Mille Miglia replica anvils that you see advertised for around £400 for a set of 4. Mind you, I just got the Boxter S wheels for £450 which I am quite happy with!

Micheldever Tyres on Saturday I think!!

Quick Reply: Paint Restoration