Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Stephen,
I just used a knife and ripped my sound proofing out and threw it away. Best thing I ever did. I use a very lightweight tool box hard foam to fill in the gaps. Your local hardware store will have this. Once the foam is soaked with water you can never truly dry it out. It will always smell. However you will see this when you get it out.
The leak, very frustrating to find.
Common causes are,
Leaking windshield (incorrect installation)
Water/condensation build up in the airconditioning plumbing and a hole which allows it to drip onto the carpet.
Most common, water entering from around the door seal.
All I can tell you is how I found the problem. I used a section of kitchen hand towel and laid it over the area, (after I dried it out) where I found the wet carpet. Not the mats but the surrounding carpets. I did not need a hose because it was raining outside at the time. I parked the C4 back in the rain and checked every tenminutes or so. Within an hour I had a nice little wet spot appearing in just one area of the towel. I was then able to track the leak which was the top of the door forward seal. Instead of replacing the seals I augmented the seals with a self adhesive foam rubber strip about 10mm wide. Again rolls of this should be available from your local hardware store. I use aviation grade 3M product.
The most important thing here is to first dry the water up and then find the source of the leak.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-29-2002, 08:30 AM
Stephen Smith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Dear Adrian
Thank you for your insightful remarks.
I went out in my car again today. I've had it in the garage for the last 2 days. When I get in the car there is no smell and no apparent problem.
Then when I start the car the stink comes out through the vents, pumped out by the electric fan. This makes me think, where is the air coming from that gets sucked in by the fan and pumped out from the vents. I'm thinking that once I identify this then I will be about to trace the source of my smell. It smells like a old mop that hasn't been dried out. I wound both windows right down when I went out today just to get some fresh air. I looked at the sound proofing under the carpet and that foam padding is really disgusting. To remove it properly are the seats required to be removed?
Thanks
Stephen
93 C2 Tip (and smells like one too)
Old 01-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Stephen,
No you do not need to remove the seats to get it all out. Just do no tbe gentle (just kidding). Under all that waterlogged disgusting foam are a number of wiring looms. Get the picture. Best removed. The rear has less of this stuff installed. I removed up to the bottom of the rear seat. When I get around to removing the seats this will be removed as well,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: You will find the front sound proofing is screwed into place. I removed the sound proofing then used a screwdriver to remove the screws. I was not gentle.
PSS: Just for the record, despite removing all of this rubbish I have not noticed any major increases in internal noises.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:49 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Stephen,
I should also point out that it is very easy for the bad smelling air to get into the air system plumbing. As the air warms and rises it goes straight into the vents which blows air onto your feet,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-31-2002, 05:47 AM
George Stevens
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I would bring you up to date with my leak.

The water was leaking through the top corner of the rear window.

Solution....a new rear window rubber, always fit a genuine Porsche one, they are definately better.

Just need to spend a few hours with a hair dryer this weekend drying out the soggy carpet, luckily mine hasn't any sound-proofing

Quick Reply: stale smell