Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the engine ?

Hi,

I want to clean my engine.
In the past I've cleaned the engine of other cars with steam, but I don't think this is good. I'm affraid for using water under pressure to clean the engine. To many connectors and other electronic stuff.

Suggestions ?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:25 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'v heard of, and just did this weekend, using Simple Green. Didn't do much for me, as I have a fixed wing and there's lots of holes for water to get into on a normal wash. The engine stays fairly clean, just not show quality. You could try Simple green with just garden hose pressure.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found that WD-40 is very good at cleaning the fan & metal items. It also dries to leave a protecting film too!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I use the citrus degreaser... I removed the engine tray so it is just a matter of spraying plenty of the degreaser, let it sit a bit and then spray with water hose (no pressure washer).

From the top I spray degreaser, with the straw that comes with it, to reach inside without spraying the sensors or connectors... then use the hose to wash it down (I try not to throw water or degreaser over the distributors or any connector....)...

I finish off with a rag and then run the engine to get rid of water I could not reach with the rag (keep the rag away when the engine is on... last thing you want is getting the rag into the fan or belts... )
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

last thing you want is getting the rag into the fan or belts... )
Been there done that. It takes forever to pull things apart to find all the shreds
DONT DO IT!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely stay away from the steam--it will infiltrate your electronics and other areas, condense, and cause problems.

I recently detailed my new-to-me 96 C4 using Aerospace 303 Cleaner and Aerospace 303 Protectant.

I first started the car to let it run for a couple of minutes--I wanted it to warm up just a bit (not enough to make it hot, just enough to make it warm to the touch without having to pull my hand back). I covered up all of the critical areas of the engine with aluminum foil (i.e. electronics, distributors, air intakes, etc.), which allowed me to form a tight bundle only over the selected area--worked well. I then applied the 303 Cleaner at full strength to my engine and let it stick for 3-5 minutes. I scrubbed some of the dirtier areas with a brush. I then sprayed down the engine with water (noting the previously covered portions) and dried. Later in my detailing process, I came back through and dressed the engine (plastics, rubber hoses, etc.) with the 303 Protectant to make the black black.

Here are a few pics of the engine:

Last edited by InTheAir; 02-08-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Now that's a clean engine!!

Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow - that is impressive!

Marc
Old 08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Peter_964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woowww.. That's clean !!!!!
Thx for the tips. I will try to find the cleaning products in Belgium
Old 08-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_964C2
Woowww.. That's clean !!!!!
Thx for the tips. I will try to find the cleaning products in Belgium
Here is the link to his post in the 993 forum... a lot of love and work into detailing that car. Sweet...

Detailing New Ride
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys for the kind words.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeff ya need a florida vacation ?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, THAT is a clean engine... It's not just clean... It looks brand new. (There IS a difference!) Mine was sparkling clean when I got it and I have kept it that way. One trick that I have found for all the rubber parts on the car (engine hoses and other rubber trim) is to use the shock oil that you buy at hobby stores for RC cars & trucks. It's thick and goes a L O N G way. The best part is that it is 100% silicone and helps preserve the rubber... Not break it down like some of the silicone that has petroleum additives.

Try it and you'll never use anything else!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steam / water .
If your driving along and you engines hot and then it rains , doesn't the rain get into the engine , getting everything wet , turning into steam when hitting hot parts ? Doesn't the water from the road get kicked up by the tires and spray everywhere ?
Ive look at the motor after a rain and found water all over , the distributors and wires wet ....
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Indy -

The difference between steam generated by a hot engine while driving and that used to clean the engine is pressure--steam cleaning is under pressure and is forced into areas that are otherwise "water resistant". This doesn't happen when you're just driving in rain.

The same goes for the distributor, etc. Although these parts are generally water resistant and in most cases there won't be any issue with them getting wet, when you force water in during washing you ~may~ get it into places it doesn't belong. Covering these parts is more an excercise in being careful than being absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: How to clean the engine ?