Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan rubbing on cooling shroud

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:54 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Default Fan rubbing on cooling shroud

A few weeks back the alternator belt broke. I took the car to the local shop and upon inspection, we found the pulley was abused by having too tight of belt tension. This also took out the spiffy two speed bearing.

So we replaced the pulley halves, spacers, washers, et al. To the tune of $650 for parts and labor. I should be good right?

Sunday night I took the long way home and ran the car pretty hard but she never missed a beat and ran great all the way to the garage. I had several miles of nice easy driving to allow the car to cool down. I drove the car to work yesterday, ran just fine, no problems.

As I went to lunch, the car just wasn't pulling smoothly into the higher revs and felt like it was hunting/searching. This didn't clear up during my lunch hour. Before I left for home, I tried to reset the DME by turning the ingition on/throttle to the floor for 11 seconds. ( i held it for a 20 count) and I drove home with some spirited driving. The hunting sensation never abated and I began to hear a sound I can only describe as most like a wind chime at the higher RPM's. It was not heard at lower or mid range operations.

At home I took a look and saw the fan had been rubbing on the mag shroud but only at the lower section from about 5 to 7 o'clock. I'm guessing that between some high temps here (upper 80s') and the expansion of the fan from centrifigal force has expanded the fan enough to touch the shroud. I ran a feeler gauge between the fan/shroud and while I could get a 15. thousand on the upper sections, I could not at the area scraped by the fan.

Now to my question, is it possible the mechanic installed the shroud off center or some other way misaligned? Has anyone encourntered this previously?
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:58 PM
sundog
Race Director

After my last rebuild, the same wind chime noise was heard from my engine compartment. I took it back to the tech, and he adjusted it so that the noise was gone. Let them correct the problem.
Old 08-02-2005 | 01:21 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

When recently I took my fan assembly apart I found that if you don not put the alternator etc back together precisely it will clip the shroud, I would suggest that the assy needs to be re-done, you'll need to pull the belts off, undo the engine shroud and adjust the 4 nuts on the back of the alternator housing, they can pull the assy square again.
Do not leave it like this...

kevin

Quick Reply: Fan rubbing on cooling shroud