Sponsored by:

What's with the 993's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preferences should not need justification

I'd drive any of them with a smile. My mechanic has a restored '59 356 with under 100 hp. I'd take that car any day of the week over just about any other make, regardless of age. If my choice was the 356 but I had to bike in the winter or a Honda...I'd be buying fenders for the cross bike.

I chose the 964 as I personally like the stove pipe look of the front fenders over the more laid back 993. My earliest memories of riding in a '68 Porsche as a young boy have undoubtedly built in this bias. I couldn't justify the view and don't intend to.

As far as speed...when talking about normally aspired cars, the 0-60 time differential is the realm of who is the better stick. Unless you track your car, the speed in of itself is really just for fun. I drive my car fast, look for two lane roads that can 'justify' my passing speeds and could care less if the 993 is marginally faster. Now this could also be that there are few cars in my area of the world as fast as the 91 964 C4 that I now have.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Russ
Preferences should not need justification
I think that is what this all boils down to... Your preferences! I agree with you Russ...

Originally Posted by ventoGT
Christer, all due respect, a 996 will whip the pants off a 964, even a 993 for that matter. I used to have a 2001 3.4L 996 and it was certainly faster than my 993.
I think Christer was talking about, instead of paying the premium for the 993 or the 996, take that extra that you would have spent and put it into a 964... $20k, if spent correctly on performance mods, would put the 964 well into (or over)the leagues of the 993 and 996. Plus... You still get the classic look of the Porsche.

Just my.02
Old 07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm also one of those who wasn't prepared to pay the large premium for a 993 which is not all that different and which are also getting older. Still I thought that one day a C4S or C2S 993 would be a real option, this was till I saw the 997 in the showroom which honestly knocked me of my feet. Water pumper or not this is, for me at least, the most desireable Porsche at the moment. It also doesn't match my budget at this time but one day it will. Perhaps I'll be able to put it beside the ol' 964, who knows.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:24 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Porsches are definately desireable but I find they are looking more and more like the japanese models (performance aside) .... I remeber the days when there was no mistaking when a Porsche drove by...now you are arguing with the guy beside you whether it's the new Lexus , Mazda RX8 etc.....

Maybe I'm just getting old and can't get with the times...... say it isn't so!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Yep, sorry Christer didn't read your post closely enough--I apoogize for that!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:45 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The new Porsches are definately desireable but I find they are looking more and more like the japanese models (performance aside) .... I remeber the days when there was no mistaking when a Porsche drove by...now you are arguing with the guy beside you whether it's the new Lexus , Mazda RX8 etc.....

Maybe I'm just getting old and can't get with the times...... say it isn't so!
I have the same problem. The 993 and onward from the front coming at you or coming from behind looks like any japanese sport model even down to the placement of the badge on the hood. I can always tell a old school 911 for a long distance. I still like the 993 look.

Last edited by jimq; 07-30-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I swapped cars for a few days with a freind of mine so I have his Audi TT (ALMS edition) to drive for a few days and he has my 964 (I'm going to swap with another friend for his M3 later - sweet!).

Anyway, the TT is very fast and nice looking. It is very modern and the A/C works (unlike mine ) but it does not have the same character and engagement of the driver that my 964 does. I suspect that the 993/996's are like that -- perhaps less so with the 997 as they seem to be heading back to their roots after going "abit astray" with the 996.

I'm sure that the 993/996/997's are all very nice but I'll keep my 964 as I did not choose it because of limited selection or finances made me, I chose it 'cause it the the last of the true and recognizeable air-cooled classics.

Marc
Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 AM
964NewBloke
Intermediate

Default 964 nice one

Totally agree with 964 smilers.. I bought mine last year & considered 964, 993 & 996 in the buying decision.

I have always wanted the classic 911 shape, because I grew up loving those great lines of the body. I needed ABS, AC, power steering etc, so 80's cars were out. The 993 is a little flat in body styling in my opinion & the 996 whilst technologically superior has a body that is again, to smoothed out for my liking.

I was not bothered about air or water cooled, but those sweet lines & the curvy **** on the 964........
Old 07-30-2005, 04:25 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
I think it's an interesting question. A 993 coupe is spectacular to behold, as is Dave's Carrera S. I have to say, though, there's a purity and straightforwardness about the 964 coupe - look at Dave K's or Andy's avatar - super clean shape, absolutely beautiful lines.

I've driven a 95 993, and it drove exactly the same as my 94 964. A 98 Carrera S might be a different story, but I could buy a 964 cab and a coupe for the price of one of those. My wife would love me.
Discussion on looks are truly too hard to discuss...one mans meat is another mans poison.... But in terms of driving....sorry, but you are completely wrong- the 964 and 993 do not drive exactly the same, not even close. I have owned one example of each for many years and can attest to that fact. Whether or not the differences in drive of either car is to your tastes or not is once again a matter of personal taste, but to say they drive exactly the same would suggest insufficient seat time in either or both cars.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Harold
Discussion on looks are truly too hard to discuss...one mans meat is another mans poison.... But in terms of driving....sorry, but you are completely wrong- the 964 and 993 do not drive exactly the same, not even close.
I love that a man named Harold that I don't know from Singapore can say I'm "completely wrong" in my driving impression, that a 94 964 drives "not even close" to a 95 993. The Internet is a wonderful thing, as is the Porsche brand that arouses so much heated debate.

I spent about 25 minutes driving the 95 993 cab. Seating position: same. Off the line acceleration (as best as you can tell in Pasadena), same. Sound behind your head: same. Steering feel, handling (up and around the Rose Bowl, good twisty roads) - same. There was a little difference in the suspension set up - this car had fewer miles, but still remarkably close.

So, no, I didn't track the cars to compare them, but they were very similar. And I missed the "stovepipe fenders" (great term) that make the car feel so unique.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:01 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Rick, I'm sure that Harold didn't mean to upset you in any way. His car was a '90 yours a '93, you drive a convertible daily and you've driven a 993 convertible in comparison, I can believe that the difference between a late 964 convertible and an early 993 convertible is not all that big at first impression. Have a look at his website for pictures of the 964 he used to have along side some interesting running reports.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:13 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
...that in comparison the 964 looks roomy
Funny you say that Indycam - it took me a while to get over how packed the 964 engine compartment is, as I was used to this:
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
I love that a man named Harold that I don't know from Singapore can say I'm "completely wrong" in my driving impression, that a 94 964 drives "not even close" to a 95 993. The Internet is a wonderful thing, as is the Porsche brand that arouses so much heated debate.

I spent about 25 minutes driving the 95 993 cab. Seating position: same. Off the line acceleration (as best as you can tell in Pasadena), same. Sound behind your head: same. Steering feel, handling (up and around the Rose Bowl, good twisty roads) - same. There was a little difference in the suspension set up - this car had fewer miles, but still remarkably close.

So, no, I didn't track the cars to compare them, but they were very similar. And I missed the "stovepipe fenders" (great term) that make the car feel so unique.
Apologies if I have offended you. That was not the intention. I am just very weary of sweeping statements as that can often lead to misinformation. I love both cars, and would never enter into a debate as to which is better, but to suggest the driving experience is exactly the same is probably stretching the truth.

Peace....
Old 07-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kris
Rick, I'm sure that Harold didn't mean to upset you in any way. His car was a '90 yours a '93, you drive a convertible daily and you've driven a 993 convertible in comparison, I can believe that the difference between a late 964 convertible and an early 993 convertible is not all that big at first impression. Have a look at his website for pictures of the 964 he used to have along side some interesting running reports.
Ahh Kris, thanks for reminding me of that website.... I haven't been there myself in some time. By the way, I just met with the current owner of my ex 964 last week and had a ride in the car... wonderful memories....
Old 07-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Haha - no offense taken, I was more marveling that someone on the other side of the world had the ability to so strongly contradict my opinion, and that we share our love of the marque. Amazing!

Quick Reply: What's with the 993's?