Sponsored by:

Wings gas pedal extender

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Wings gas pedal extender

I've been searching the archives looking for a suitable gas pedal extender to aid in heel & toe work.

It seems that the Wings product installs easily, is adjustable and is priced right.

Though, I can't seem to raise them via the phone number I've found.

Does anyone know if Wings is still around?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wings is out of business, unfortunately. They did make a great product, not sure what happened. It was one of the only pedals that gave height adjustment, and helps bridge the gap (height and distance) from the brake. Maybe you could find one on eBay.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

That's too bad. I've already checked eBay. No Joy. Looks like I'm heading to the wood shop to fabircate my own.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:50 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you looked at the Rennline pedal, that one is touted as being fully adjustable? It looks kind of weird but interesting.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Yup. I saw that one. kind of funky.

I was doing a bit more searching and found a JMH pedal which is also adjustable. Also found on Rennline.

It's a flat pedal with a slight wing on the upper left. It allows the ball-joint to be attached to maybe five different positions (top to bottom) along the back of the pedal allowing for different pedal heights. Seems just the ticket; sans the price, of course!

I made a wooden block extender for the gas pedal on my previous car (Saab 9-5 Aero). That worked very well. I was able to remove the black rubber pad from the metal pedal, install the shaped wooden block with a routed edge around the top, and then reinstall the rubber pad. Took some time to work it all out.

The 964 doesn't seem to have a removable pad and I started thinking about the time and how I'd rather be driving and I went ahead and bit the bullet and put in an order for the JHM pedal.

Should be here by Thu or Fri. Should be installed by Sat.

See: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pedals_pg2.htm
JMH Performance Adjustable Accelerator Pedal only - Black Anodized, 911/911 Turbo/912/914/964/993
$145 (ouch!)
Old 07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a shame that Wings is out of business. I have there gas pedal and love it. It was so easy to install and VERY adjustable.

I hope you can find another pedal that is the same design........good luck.

Flagg
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have and love the Rennline adjustable pedal. Come up to Canada and you can try it out.

Marc
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need an aftermarket pedal to adjust the height of the gas pedal
Seach the archives and you will find a lot of info
Old 07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

But you can't adjust the side-to-side position of the pedal.

Marc
Old 07-26-2005, 12:58 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

this one cost me a couple bucks and works excellent (plywood + paint + 4 drywall screws):
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm guessing you aren't going for that concours look, eh?

Marc
Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

That JMH pedal looks like the AJ USA one, which several people I know have bought and love. Cheaper too, I think they're a sponsor and I think you can get a break in price, or break in price if you're a PCA member. No affiliation, etc.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/pb/list...3d3a21c85c378e

Anyway, sorry I didn't think of that before, I didn't consider those adjustable.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

The JMH pedal arrived this week while I was away on business. It was about five days late. Not that it mattered much, I wouldn't have been able to install it if it had arrived last week any way.

The installation was a breeze. One difference I found was that previous posts had suggested pulling the existing connecting rod from the back of the existing pedal by pulling the ball joint on the end of the connecting rod from the back of the pedal. I found that there was a lock nut at the other end where the ball joint rod connected to the throttle linkage. I simply loosened the lock nut and then turned the rod out from the throttle linkage. No need to remove the ball joint from the back of the pedal. It simply spun in place allowing me to unthread it.

The adjustments on the new pedal include:

Two floor mounting locations; nearer to the driver (I choose this) and a bit farther (more like the existing setup)

Five locations for the new pedal's ball joint attachment point
It arrived in the middle slot and I left it there

Two connecting rods; one long and one short (I used the short one)

One "stop" assembly which can be adjusted to set the bottom-out point so as to prevent damaging the throttle linkage by pushing down too hard. I suppose this is valid, but I've yet to drop the pedal so hard as to possibly cause damage. Perhaps I'm too timid.

Any way, I went out for a test drive and think I will like this pedal just fine.

The intesting part of all of this is that I learned that if I had simply extended my existing connecting rod I would have been able to adjust my existing pedal to where I wanted it. The new pedal is a bit wider at the top and allows for the bottom to be adjusted a bit closer to the driver, both of which are nice features, and is a nice black aluminum number. However, it also costs $145.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-06-2005, 04:26 AM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dave. Great info. Any chance of posting some detail pictures showing the different adjustable futures. I am trying to figure out if there is a way of shortening the distance tbetween zero and full trottle. I would like to have less pedal travel, Could that be achieved with the JMH pedal? It is expencise but still cheaper than Rennline....
Old 08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Unfortunately I can't find the battery charger for my digital camera at the moment. I had wanted to take pictures during the install, but couldn't.

I don't imagine there is much opportunity to shorten the pedal range for zero to full throttle given the assembly. I suppose you could mount the ball joint at the highest position which would shorten the overall "throw" of the pedal to some extent. That, however, would push the pedal uncomfortably back toward the driver.

Wish I could be of more help, but even if I find the camera battery charger I have already installed the pedal and would probably need to remove it to show any useful pics. Sorry.

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Wings gas pedal extender