Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immobiliser/starter woes

Was out today with the Blue Shadow at a friend's whose just bought a Boxster S (but that's another story).

We were trying each other's cars and Steve (Boxster) attempted to start mine without first deactivating the (UK fitment) immobiliser.

Anyway, since that moment, the starter has completely refused to operate - just as if no power at all is being sent to it BUT, a bump-start gets everything running again.

So - does anyone actually KNOW (I mean the definite facts of the matter), does the UK immobiliser just disable the starter (in which case the fault is probably in the former) or do other stuff like cut off the fuel supply (in which case it's a starter problem)?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:44 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
does anyone actually KNOW
...I don't, but it would be a pretty silly immobilizer if all it did was prevent the starter - thieves could just push start the cars to steal them...
Old 07-17-2005, 06:24 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yes, but maybe that was 'state-of-the-art' in 1990.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John

The imobilizer on mine still allow the engine to crank. It's been a few years since I tested it but I think I set off the alarm and while the alarm was sounding I attempted to start the car. I'm curious, you say you deactivate it. How?

Bill
90C2
Old 07-18-2005, 03:17 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Oh, I just meant he didn't 'operate' it right - we have a little electronic 'key' to put into a slot which sort of immobilises the immobiliser. Apparently, Noah had one of these on the Ark and had trouble with it more than once.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:34 AM
McJohn
Racer

John,

A little late now, but given that you got it to start and run by push starting it, does this not indicate that the immobiliser must be OK, in that it is allowing the engine to run.

Sounds like the external link wire on your starter motor has burned out, exactly the same as happened to mine recently (same age, same mileage) and with exactly the same symptoms.

Hope you get it fixed OK.

John H
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 AM
sterya
Intermediate

John,
Just last week I contacted http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/ regarding a certificate for the standard UK fitment Alarm/ immobiliser fitted from new in my 1990 C4....alarm turns out to be Thatcham Cat 2 rated! I would contact them to discuss your problem.

Best regards
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, all.

It seems it IS possible that the immobiliser might have failed in such a way that only the 'starter-inhibiting' circuit is affected, but I'm thinking that a starter fault is probably more likely. It just seemed too much of a coincidence that it happened immediately following an attempt to start whilst the immobiliser was still 'active'.

Anyway, after a lot of phone calls, I've decided to have the car taken to Ninemeister (who are close to me and can transport the car) on Friday, so watch this space. Irobically, one of the things WE tried to fix the problem was to disconnect the battery to see if this would 'reset' anything. My car always run like a pig idle-wise after doing this until it gets a proper Bosch Hammer system adaptation done.

Therefore when we now bump-start the car, it runs OK only to stall at every junction!
Still, we managed to get 30-odd miles home from our friend's house, but I'd rather have it trailered to Ninemeister - I'm worried about people running into the back end if it stalls as I move off from each standstill. Then, of course, there's also the problem of restarting it! Ho hum.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Hi John,

If I don't operate the immobiliser on my car, it will let the starter motor turn over, but there's no ignition.
A little late now, but I had the same problem with the starter as John H this last winter, and mine's a 90'.
Good luck and hope you get that car back on the road for the North Wales run. If not, just get lots of foam rubber on the back bumper and I'll give a you a push start with 250HP !

Cheers
Old 07-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Sten
Pro

John,

I have just bought the official Porsche installation manual for the alarms fitted to early 964's, when I've had a chance to read it I may be able to get to the bottom of a few mysteries (like why my sunroof won't open). Having said that, I need the car to work on and it's at the bodyshop, and will be for some time - bu***r!

Barry
Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

John,
Have you tried bypassing the immobiliser? Do you know if your uk alarm is wired in a similar way to the standard 964 alarm? (i.e. 2 paperclip bypass).
Old 07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

With mine, nothing happens at all, until you plug the immobiliser widget in the hole..no starter, nothing.

kevin

Last edited by warmfuzzies; 07-18-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:52 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
John,
Have you tried bypassing the immobiliser? Do you know if your uk alarm is wired in a similar way to the standard 964 alarm? (i.e. 2 paperclip bypass).
No, I don't know, but do tell me more...

The immobiliser is a separate system from the alarm, mind you.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

I just love this whole thread. Hear in California I guess they just expect your car to be stolen! We don't need no stinking immobilisers. Have you ever watched "Gone in 60 Seconds?" More true than not. Absolutely nothing will stop a real thief, and joy-ridders will just mess up your car trying to get it going.

A couple of years ago my sister got into her car which was parked in downtown San Francisco. When she attempted to put the key in the steering wheel ignition, she then observed for the first time that the entire steering wheel had been sawn off. Some poor fellow needed an air bag. You have to admire their ingenuity.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Sten
Pro

John,

Have you checked the two 'extra' fuses in the Central Electric fusebox? There's also two under the dash on the drivers side on my car, I've never worked out what they do! You're welcome to 'borrow' the alarm manual, it may even come with an engineer attached (I work free for Tea and biscuits)

Barry

Quick Reply: Immobiliser/starter woes