Sponsored by:

Bike rack on a cabriolet/rear spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 11:45 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Bike rack on a cabriolet/rear spoiler question

I've found a beautiful triple black cab in excellent condition. However, I'm a cyclist and need to carry my bike around. It won't fit in the back, even with both wheels removed. There's a rack called the stealth that supposedly fits over the engine lid and ties under the car. Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with the stealth or any other bike rack on a cab?

2. Can the rear spoiler be temporarily deactivated so it does not lift up when the bike rack is on?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 07-06-2001, 02:05 PM
Scott
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,
I have a '94 C2 cab and recently bought a bike rack out of the Performance Products catalogue. It has a plate that mounts behind the license plate and a strap that hooks to the decklid above the spoiler. Barely touchest the car at all and plenty of clearance when the spoiler is up. It actually works out really well. I don't remember the name of the rack itself, but check the Perf. Prod. catalogue, if you can't find it let me know and I'll try to find the name.

Scott
Old 07-08-2001, 08:11 PM
Mark C-2 Targa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon,
I'm a cyclist too and my cannondale fits in my 90 targa. I really didn't want to put a bike rack on the car. This is how it’s done. Both wheels and the seat will fit in the front trunk. Rear wheel first with cassette down. Seat to the left of wheels. I have a bag I made to fit the bike in to prevent any dirt from getting in the car but an old blanket will work. The bike will fit in the passenger seat. Right side down, head set at the back of the seat, chain stays where your feet go, fork ends next to the door. The seat posthole will be next to the shifter. Use some bungee cords on the bike to make it a little neater. It’s really not a big deal, I can break down my bike and have it in the car in a few minutes. You might get some strange looks because it looks like you have a body wrapped up. Good cycling and driving. Mark
Old 07-09-2001, 06:29 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Jon,
You can disconnect the rear spoiler, just pull off the plug to the motor assy. However I would sincerely not recommend you do this. For a quick trip where you will not exceed 80kph this is okay but the spoiler does provide a number of functions including an aerodynamic one and cooling at high speed. I would not recommend you drive at high speed with the rear spoiler disabled. Of course it is your own decision,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Bike rack on a cabriolet/rear spoiler question