964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MSD Ignition???

Old 06-17-2001, 07:56 PM
RobC
User

Question MSD Ignition???

I'm just curious if any of you have installed an MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) Ignition system? I have heard that they help smooth out the engine at the bottom end of the RPM range (intresting for a daily driver in Atlanta traffic). Does anyone have any experiences they could share? I am especially curious of the ramifications of the 964's dual plugs.
Old 06-20-2001, 05:41 AM
Jeff Curtis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Rob, I use to have a 911SC that once had an MSD ignition setup...it worked great. A good friend of mine had a '69 911 with an MSD setup as well...he loved it.

I would not even consider downgrading to an MSD setup on a 964 though. Ask around and you will find that the dual-distributor/plug setup on a factory 964 is one of the finest and most expensive systems out there. I hardly think that upgrading to another ignition system would be that beneficial and simple...it is computerized.

My advice would be to spend your well earned "upgrade allowance" elsewhere, like an exhaust upgrade or chip??

Mind you every setup has it's issues, the distributor belt being one of them on a factory 964 ignition...but that's minor! Just get a new belt installed if you're concerned about it...and certainly get the upgrade to "vent" the distributor housings.

That's just my 2 cents for all it's worth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: