Sponsored by:

Bad Fuse Connections

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Gerald Myres
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Fuse Connections

Here is something I thought I would share. I had a problem about a month ago where the AC on my 90 C2 would not cool properly. When I checked the high side pressure, I found it would go upto about 400 lbs. Found that the condensor fan was not coming on causing high temps on the pressure side. This was caused by bad connection on fuse #39 in the central electric box. I put a slight twist on the fuse prongs, and havent had a problem since.
Then a few days ago, my interior ventilation fans would go in and out which seemed to be caused by bumps in the road. Further investigation found I had a similar problem with fuse #1. I put a slight twist on this fuse and resolved the problem.
Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I suspect the only true fix is to replace the whole fuse box, but that is probably quite expensive, especially if my twisted fuses will suffice.
Old 06-02-2001, 01:13 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with us. The current owner of teh 964 I am negotiating told me he had done the same thing with some fuses. The heat and humidity here in Panama plays havoc with any electrical component

He has a special grease (I will try to get the name of it) that protects against humidity and corrosion, while at the same time conduct electricity
Old 06-02-2001, 04:24 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's called Dielectric Grease and while it does protect against humidity and corrosion, it is non-conductive. the metal parts of the connector still have to make contact.

you can use it to pack under-hood connectors to keep water out and not get shorts between pins.

Quick Reply: Bad Fuse Connections