Sponsored by:

buying your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 02:31 PM
gregC2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool buying your first Porsche?

I've seen several requests from people, looking for information about purchasing their first Porsche and what recommendations Porsche owners have for them. PPI's are great, keeping a couple thousand (or more) for fixes or upgrades, etc. very valuable. What hasn't been mentioned, that can be somewhat important, is the cost of insurance.While there are places that offer reasonable insurance, some people get the idea that an '88 Carrera or whatever is going to cost the same as any other '88 car (VW, Toyota, etc.). Just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:00 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

Good point! Insurance costs kept me away from 911 ownership for a few years. I mean, I can justify spending money on the car and on repairs, but I have a hard time paying a premium for a service that I hope I don't have to use.

It's definitely important to shop around for rates on insurance. There's some huge price differences! Of course, you have to shop on more than just price alone -- how does the company handle claims, etc.

Having two cars helps your insurance rates as well. You can make the other car your primary vehicle and pay less for insuring the Porsche.

Just some food for thought...
Old 06-02-2001, 10:47 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
A while back, I had a 78 SC. For some reason, my insurance company (State Farm - Maryland) didn't consider the 911 coupes as "performance" vehicles up until the 84 model year. Strangely enough though, they considered the targas as performance vehicles with much higher premiums.

Also, a $0 comprehensive deductible has more than paid for itself many times for me. For me, it was about $50 a year to go from a $100 to $0 deductible. That's one stone pop or other incident every two years to break even. Definitely worthwhile on a daily driver.

Quick Reply: buying your first Porsche?