Sponsored by:

Squeaky, Leaky Targa - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 09:24 AM
epr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeaky, Leaky Targa - HELP

My newly acquired 90 c4 targa with 22,000 miles is rock solid, rattle free with the Targa top off. On, it squeaks and groans.
The front and rear rubber gaskets are in good, not excellent condition.
Is there a fix, or is this life with a Targa? THANKS.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:52 AM
Planter91C2
Advanced

my targa seals are new and there is some noise, but its not that bad. mostly over bumps there is a little rattling/squeaking. i have to believe that it is normal. if yours makes noise all the time, check the latches for a tight close, and adjust as necessary.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:47 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Also be sure that all rubber strips and surfaces are well coated with quality protectant/lubricant. This will do wonders for squeaks.

I prefer glycerin-based products over silicone-based ones. One good example is a BMW product called gummiphlege (sp?), which most dealers keep in stock.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:45 AM
Robin
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

After a couple of months of owning my '90 C2 Targa, the top started rattling quite bad. I found out that one of the two plastic sleeves which cover the two rear locating pins on the targa top was missing. Checking the other one showed that it was in bad shape too, so I replaced both and haven't had any significant noise (apart from aerodynamic noise at above 100 Km/h) since.

Regards,
Robin
'90 C2 Targa
Singapore
Old 06-12-2001, 11:10 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

I believe conventional wisdom says that Targas will rattle and squeak--short of a Targa fresh off the dealer's lot (don't have those anymore ) It's kinda' a nature of the beast sort of thing.

For that matter, leaks, rattles and squeaks are something you have to live with for any topless car, not just Targas. Unless you're willing to trade your car in for a new one every two years, or spend all your waking hours chasing squeaks and rattles. I still remember when I bought my Targa back in '92. It was sooo quiet!

All that said, there is some threshold where squeaks, rattles and leaks are no longer "normal," but rather, excessive. I suppose it's up to each owner to determine where that threshold is.

Personally, I need to take Bob's tip, and lubricate the rubber surfaces on my car. It's been a long time since that's been done, and I'm sure it will be an improvement.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Randall Granaas ]

Quick Reply: Squeaky, Leaky Targa - HELP