AC Fan Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 08:06 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Post AC Fan Locked Up

While I had the front bumper off, I was cleaning the bugs and road debris out of the two radiators in front of the front wheels. I noticed that the cooling fan attached to AC condenser coils does not spin in a free wheeling manner like the one in front of the oil radiator.

It rotates only a fraction of an inch in both directions, where it stops abruptly as if it is engaged by some sort of mechanism. Does anyone know if it supposed to be "locked", perhaps turned on by the AC system at a certain point? Or is it supposed to spin freely when not in use like I think it should? I did turn on the AC and even after warming up, the fan never did come on.

Thanks you.
Steve
Old 01-13-2002, 09:29 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, it's fried. I'll bet the fuse is blown too. The good news is that its not too tough to replace and the cost is about $150 I believe.

Hopefully Randall G will respond as he is the resident "maven" on cooling fan issues.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

To be honest, I've never tried free-spinning either fan. Have you Mike? Anyway, it seems like the AC condenser fan should spin freely, like the oil cooler fan. However--strictly speaking--they do use separate part numbers. Oil cooler blower = 964.624.035.00. AC condenser blower = 964.624.035.01.

Your AC condenser fan should be running with the AC on (ignition on). As Mike suggests, check the fuse. If it's blown, sounds like more evidence your fan is seized. If it's not blown, try installing a jumper between terminals #3 & #7 of relay R14's plug. If the resister is intact, the fan should run. BTW, when jumpering across #3/#7, fuse protection is maintained.

If your fan didn't run when jumpered across #3/#7--and your fuse is still good--try jumpering across #3/#5. If your fan is okay, it will run in fast-speed. Fast-speed operation shorts across the slow-speed resister. Again, fuse protection is maintained when jumpering across #3/#5.

If your fan still won't run, verify you have 12V at terminal #3 of R14's plug.

If you do need a new fan, try getting it from either Hendricks or Sunset Porsche. Both sell parts at a little above cost, if you ask for the Excellence magazine discount. I called Sunset about the oil cooler fan once, and it was less than $100.00.

Best of luck!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:42 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Steve,
The motor should not be binding like this. However before leaping into replacement I have a question. When you select airconditioning "on", does the compressor activate. Does the clutch engage.
Turn the engine on and engage the aircon, check the compressor clutch. Then see if the fan runs. After you have checked the fuse of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-14-2002, 06:38 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hallo
To me it sounds like there is something blocking the Propeller,maybe a stone or something is sticking in the Frame somewhere.
I would take of the Frame first and try if the propeller runs then. It is hold by 4
10 mm screws,2 in Front,2 in back.
If the Motor would be frozen it would not move at all. The partsnumbers are different because the are turning the other way ,one has a red label and one a green.
And be carefull this motors are very powerfull and can hurt you very bad ,if they come on suddenly and turn the Blade.
harald
Old 06-17-2023, 11:47 AM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this post is an old one but I have looked and found the answer once but did not save is so hopes one of you may find this old post and respond /// I have a 90 C2 the A/C fan is starting to make a bearing noise so just a matter of time before it locks up I was looking to see if anyone knows the bearing size for the condensor fan as when I take it apart I wanted to replace them if possible and not get a new fan. Seems as if I put an eye on the size before but was not in the market a the time/ I have a section saved on here where I stored most of what I may need for my car later but hard drive crash you know the rest .. Thank You

Quick Reply: AC Fan Locked Up