Sponsored by:

water and oil don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:08 AM
tom964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post water and oil don't mix

Hello everyone. I changed my own oil for the first time yesterday and when I opened the oil tank plug, water came out first. The week before, I accidently left the oil filler cap off for several days. That is why I decided to change the oil earlier than scheduled - in case any contaminants got in. I only drove it once in that time, and it was not raining - but this is Chicago in the winter, so condensation is heavy. Is that the likely source of the water? Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:04 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tom,
For every gallon of gas you burn you also create a gallon of water. Chances are your drives are short and the oil doesn't have a chance to come up to operating temp for very long if at all. That or the car sits and idles a lot. Water in the oil is common if your drives are short and sweet. I wouldn't be to concerned this is normal, unless you are a Boxster or 996
Stephen
Old 01-13-2002, 12:19 PM
tom964
Advanced

Thanks. I'm still learning - and enjoying it. Sounds like what your saying is I need a . . . road trip!!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi PorschePhD,

Any thoughts/theories on how much oil might accumulate in the system of a car that's rarely driven for an extended period?

Enough to perhaps give a false high oil level reading (a quart or more)? If it's a lot of water, seems like it could be trouble, water not having the same lubricating properties as oil. Also, a person could take their car on an extended trip, and suddenly find him/herself down a quart (more?) on oil.

Just curious ... my car gets driven often and long enough to warm it to full operating temperature.

Thanks ...
Old 01-13-2002, 03:49 PM
964Cab
Instructor

I have a thick transparent tubing in place of the factory oil tank breather hose (that the factory feeds into the throttle body). At the end of my trasnparent oil tank breather hose is a small hole. Often, after short runs, I see water collected in the end of the transparent tubing. I never knew until today that thats not a problem. Also, when the engine is cold there is no pulsating fumes coming from an oil dip stick bore but when the engine is warm there is a mist of oil fumes pulsating from the an open oil dip stick bore.

Thanks for the info,

Patrick
'90C4Cab
Old 01-13-2002, 06:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry I don't know how much water traps in the oil. Too many variables really. The most I have seen is usally a half quart or so on the bottom of the tank. Keep in mind that a quart or two low isn't that horriable of a thing. These are sump systems and always are moving oil. In theory you could drive safley with as little as 4 quarts. I am not saying do this, but I have seen cars with this little oil and no problems. So if you were a half quart low because of water it isn't really an issue. Try not to let the car idle so long on a cold start. I usally give it 30 sec to a minute then keep it under 3K until I come up on temp. Also try to get your drives to be longer than 30 minutes.
Stephen
Old 01-13-2002, 06:49 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply! Another reason I asked. Not too long ago, there was a post on the 993 board by a person who had just picked up his freshly PPI'ed 993. On his drive home with the car ( bought long-distance), he stopped to check the oil, and was shocked to find it two quarts low. This after only a few hundred miles of driving.

One theory was water in the oil that had vaporized, leaving the tank two quarts low. But, two quarts out of an ~10 quart system seems like an awful lot--some 1/5 of the fluid would then be water. I'm guessing it's more likely the PPI did not include bringing the car up to operating temperature to check the oil level properly.

The good news is, the oil consumption on this car has been normal since adding the two quarts after purchase.

Quick Reply: water and oil don't mix