Sponsored by:

Dirt in the A/C Heating Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Post Dirt in the A/C Heating Ducts

I recently purchased a 91 C2. The dash duct work had a lot of dirt inside. (This is not the first time I have had this problem with used cars. Last time took the whole A/C system apart to clean the exaporator coil and ducts.)

To my question. Is there any easy way to clean up the evaporator coil short of a complete opening of the system? I suffer chronic sinusitus, and until I get the system cleaned up every "ride" offers the opportunity for sinus infection, from the mold and dirt.

I have the seven maintenance books. But they offer very little info for the A/C system. I'm in Atlanta GA, with long hot summers.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Alan,

The 993, with its pollen filters, may have been just the ticket for you. Then again, perhaps you prefer the 964, or the 993 was beyond your budget?
Old 01-11-2002, 07:09 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alan,

If I recall correctly, Roger Eaton knows a lot about Porsche A/C. He wrote a technical article at the Pelican Parts board, but I didn't see anything about cleaning the compressor.

Here's his contact info:

Roger Eaton
roger53@earthlink.net

Good luck!

-- Melissa
Old 01-12-2002, 06:10 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Alan,
You need to clean the evaporator and the condenser. The condenser is in the LH wheel arch area. This is not too difficult to clean. The Evaporator is much harder. You need to get underneath, remove the covers and go up. It is very tough to work with from above.
You also need to clean the ducting around the engine and the rear blower fan. I suspect that the major source for dirt in the system is the heating system. Yes, they are all connected together, mechanically, plumbing and electronically. The maint manual is useless on this subject,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-12-2002, 09:32 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Alan:

I noticed that Wurth makes an A/C & Heating System Spray. The description reads "A water based quaternary ammonium chloride aerosol spray that helps eliminate orders in air conditioning systems caused by bacteria, fungi and mineral deposits. Spray directly into the A/C vents and returns, allow to work for 5-10 minutes and then turn the system on high to circulate".

My friend had a terrible oder in his van's ventillation system (smelled like mold and mildew) when he purchased it (used). The dealer used a spray that was described as being similar to the Wurth stuff above (maybe it even was the Wurth) and his A/C and heat system has been odor free ever since (it's been a year now).

Car Care Online www.carcareonline.com has this stuff listed for $21.60 a can. Might be worth a try before really tearing into the car...

Hope this helps,
Jay
90 964
Old 01-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Smile

Thanks for the responses. The pollen filters are a great idea. My '00 BMW 740iL uses these and they work great.

Adrian - is it possible to clean the evaporator from under the car? I have a car lift in my workshop so getting it overhead is no problem. Based on the workshop manual drawing there is just a condensate drain for the evaporator.

Thanks

Alan
Old 01-14-2002, 08:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Alan,
Yes it is possible, Some of it is a little site unseen but you can get the air hose into the the core area. I have never taken the drain off. I am always reluctant to do so.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Herbie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yesterday I got my car lift by a mechanical.

But we couldn't reach the evaporator for cleaning from below.

As Alan says, after removing lower protections, we saw only a rubber hose, the aircon drain I guess.

Another protection was hiding fuel pump.

And between we and the evaporator there was a solid metallic part of the chassis.

How to reach evaporator from below is a mistery for me.

Perhaps need I some articulated probes ?

Quick Reply: Dirt in the A/C Heating Ducts