Sponsored by:

Audio Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:36 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Post Audio Advice

My new toy ('90 C2 Cab) is in need of some work on the audio system. At some point a prior owner pulle dout the originial stero in favor of a sony head unit (which I hate) and the rear speakers are shot so those need replacing. My questions are these:

1. Should I try and track down a used factory head unit?

2. If I go with another aftermarket unit which do you guys prefer (keeping in mind both performance and appearance in the car)?

3. Have any of you updated your speakers with something that you are really happy with?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts
You will get answers all over the map on this one.

When I bought my '90 C2, the factory CD2 player would not play CD's, so I bought a Pioneer head unit and a set of Infinity Component Speakers. I have not replaced the rears.

Be aware that the door speakers where NOT a direct drop in. My installer had to trim some of the mounting rings and such. It was more of a PITA then I would have guessed.

I think there are other speakers out there that are 100% drop in.

Having said that, the bass from those new door speakers was very weak (my home system is flat to below 25 Hz, so I am kind of sensitive to poor bass!), so I went with a Car Audio Inovations sub (it mounts behind the driver seat in a custom enclosure). I also installed a JBL amp under the passenger seat for the sub.

Some of the best money I have ever spent.

Search in this forum for Car Audio Inovations. Lots of great tech stuff, even if you opt to go your own way.

One more thing....

My Pioneer head unit is compatible with XM radio, which I got last December. Very, Very Cool! 100 channels to choose from, some with no commecials, most with minimal commercials, and NO STUPID DJs!!!!! Just pure music.

Another investment that I will never regret. I would make sure that your new head unit (if you do that) is compatible with either Sirius or XM.

BGL
Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob,

IMO, the only reason to reinstall a factory unit is to keep the car all original. Otherwise an aftermarket is fine. I replaced my entire system a few years ago and went with a Blaupunkt head unit. I can't stand the neon type new head units available today, and Blaupunkts are understated im appearance and perform well.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed Nakamichi door speakers that were a direct drop in. No cutting or modification of the door required.

I agree with Brian regarding the lack of bass with a stock type stereo system. If you want truly good sound, you'll need a sub. I pretty much listen to talk radio so not an issue for me...

Quick Reply: Audio Advice