Sponsored by:

circuit board

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 02:09 PM
mac964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry circuit board

This is posted as a heads up as I've never seen anyone else post this problem on the board.

I was driving over to JZ Machtech to drop my car off for a service, when I notice the temperature gauge at halfway and climbing. With our current freezing temperatures something was obviously wrong - I thought the oil cooler or thermostat had packed up.

After careful checking it turned out that both were in good order and so were the relays.

The problem was in the circuit board itself which was only sending intermitant signals to the oil cooler. Over the years the layers of the circuit board had obviously started to split.

Apparently circuit board failures were common at the launch of the 964 - anybody else had a problem???
Old 01-09-2002, 04:15 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Mac,
Corrosion of electrical components is a well known problem on the 964. Which circuit boards are you talking about. Where. There is no input to the oil cooler. Fan yes. The theromostat is mechanical. There is a temp sensor mounted in the cooler which outputs to the aircon/heating control unit. Maybe you could elaborate a little more.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-09-2002, 01:14 PM
mac964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrian,

not being that mechanically minded my explanation will probably be slightly off the mark ... but here goes

Believe that it is the circuit board in the fuse box itself - it appears that it is affecting the relevant relay - not having my car with me i can't tell which number the relay is - although it is one of the two larger relays at the front of the fuse box.

as I said not the best explanation but I hope it sheds some light

Best regards
Old 01-10-2002, 04:46 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Mac,
A tad off the mark. This is the central electric assembly. Corrosion underneath is quite common especially in the damper and colder climates,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: circuit board