Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level 964

Old 01-08-2002, 01:18 PM
lehmkuhler
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil level 964

I recently purchased a '91 C2. I have a question about checking and adding oil. The car is driven everyday approximately 10 mi. Should I check the oil level when the engine is hot or cold? How much oil should I need to replace between oil changes? Also, I heard not to fill to the top because it will overflow afterwards. Is this true, and whyso?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
Oil level should be checked when the car is at normal operating temperature (i.e. hot). Also, it should be checked while the car is idling, and while it is on level ground. If you have a handbook with the car, I think that gives details. Don't check the oil with the engine switched off.

Not sure how much you should replace between oil changes - just keep an eye on the level and top up as necessary.

I have been told that it shouldn't be filled to the top - I guess because the oil expands as it heats up. If you fill it right to the max mark, then if the car gets very warm the oil may expand enough to overflow.

Dave
90 C4
Old 01-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Dave re checking oil level. One problem I have is that the oil level is often hard to read on the dipstick. Under those same conditions that you would check oil level on the dipstick, your oil level gauge on the dash should also be reading correctly.
That's about the only time it reads correctly, however.

On refill after draining, you will need about 2 quarts less than total capacity indicated in owner's manual in order to get the level about half way between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick. Thus, about 9 quarts should do it. No need to ever get it above half way. It's ok to wait until the level drops to 1/3 or 1/4 the way between the two marks before adding 1/2 qt and checking level. Overfilling is easy to do.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 AM
lehmkuhler
7th Gear

Very helpful. Many thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:50 PM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Hi-

10 miles may not be quite enough to get up to proper operating temperature. My policy is that is the oil temp gauge must be at the second line (about 8 o'clock as I recall, which is actually the third line if you count the very first one at the bottom). On a completely level surface and after at least 30 seconds of idle, you should be able to get an accurate reading with the engine running. It should be above the red, but not hitting the top mark for safety's sake. I add very small amounts like about a 1/4 quart and keep my eye on the gauge through the rear window, pausing for about 1-2 minutes during each addition for the gauge to register and to check the dip stick. I stop when the gauge reads 3 o'clock, with the stick corroborating. Always verify with both the stick and the gauge- using just one of the measurements will lead to an overfll IMO.

I would also consider taking the "long way" to work. Assuming 5 miles each way for your 10-mile daily drive, is not a good practice for maintaining overall health of the car.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:12 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon is correct... make sure the operating temp is reached before adding any oil. I also like to see the level about 2/3 of full on the dip-stick and/or guage... I am currently wiping the inside surfaces of my entire intake system because the previous owner had the level maxed out.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:08 PM
lehmkuhler
7th Gear

Wink

Thanks for the additional input. My trip to and from the office is 5mi. each way. I am a pretty aggressive driver. I have had the car for one month, but I am gaining more confidence behind the wheel everyday (especially after reading driving tips from different users on the forum). I make it a point not to "baby" the vehicle. Do you recommend that I really unwind it once or twice every weekend. If so, under what conditions?

Thanks

Also, you will all be sorry to hear that I was rear-ended by someone after owning the car for only two weeks!

Monte
Old 01-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: aggressive driving / unwinding -
Check your manual, - if you have it. I believe that mine states that the engine should not be driven above 4500 rpm until it has warmed up...
Congrats on the new car!!
Jack http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jbalthasar
Old 01-18-2002, 12:24 PM
George Stevens
Racer

lehmkuhler

Go for it!!!!

we have major problems here in the UK with 911's which have lived all their life in central London and have never been opened up properly, top end overhaul at 40,000 miles is not un-common!!!

Always warm the car up thoroughly, and once warm, drive it by the scruff of it's neck, it will do the engine the world of good!!!

Good luck!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil level 964