Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat battery problem solved OR Beware the luggage compartment light!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 06:45 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Flat battery problem solved OR Beware the luggage compartment light!!

Flat battery problems - finally solved this conundrum. Got a flat battery after owning the C2 for 3 weeks. Replaced cheap 45 AmpHr battery with 'pukka' 70 AmpHr, high output type. It went flat in 2 weeks!!! Thought fault was the cooling fan in engine bay. I noticed that if I start the car for even a minute, when I switch off the engine the cooling fan is on ! The manual says this will come on IF the rear fan temp is 95 deg C or higher. Luckily (or not) its been freezing here in the UK. Got to my car on the day of flat battery to find a thin layer of ice on the car EXCEPT for a neat circle of no ice on the hood, just where the luggage compartment light is. This little light had successfully drained 2 batteries in a fortnight!!

So, beware dodgy lights, they can bring a proud Porsche owner to his knees!!
Old 01-07-2002, 07:55 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear John,
Whilst it is no help to you now. A full range of current drains can be found in the archives. Your problem is very well known. This is why mine and many others even though they work fine are disconnected. It is a useless light anyway. A least ice played a helpful role this time. My C4 is currently in the hangar defrosting itself,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Michael Witz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

OK -- that explains why I went through 3 Sears Die-Hard batteries this summer. The counter person and I were on a first name basis - good thing Sears replaces for free if you kill it before 12 months

Will take the bulb out next time the cover if off.

My C4 is in storage for the winter with the battery out.

Thanks a bunch

Michael
89 C4
New Hampshire USA

Quick Reply: Flat battery problem solved OR Beware the luggage compartment light!!