Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A 964 "Cup Chip" too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, no-one asked for it, but here it is anyway. My personal experience with chips is that no matter what you are putting it in, it will not make a noticable difference without having it tuned to the mods you've already made. If you,ve made no other mods then you probably just waisted the money.
I have an Autothority chip, but also added other mods to the engine at the time of install. LWF, Autothority MAF, Fabspeed single outlet muffin, and the useless cone filter (4500.00 usd). All was supposedly tuned into the chip. There is a definate difference in performance over the way it was.

Also, I'ld like to mention that new wires, caps, rotor buttons, and spark plugs, were installed aswell.
Did not, and have not, done the Dyno test. Frankly, I don't know anyone with one, and I don't really want to fork over the money for one, when it seems really apparent to me that the car is a hell of alot faster now. However I do get curious about the numbers sometimes. And, if I had to speculate it would be safely said, at around 10% increase (25hp).

Duncan
Old 07-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"And for 96.4% of aftermarket chips he'd be right!" - JasonAndreas -

And for the other 3.6% of them, problematic issues!

"I have been able to get better air fuel ratios than the Cup car or C2 chips by programming chips, but have not seen any real HP gains from it." - Geoffrey -

Well said!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:06 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The 1990 C2 brain has a fuel quality swich that can add +3% (position 1) or +6% fuel (position 3) which does help a car that is running lean due to exhaust/cam changes.
For MY91+ there is a jumper on the DME connector for specifiying USA, ROW and ROW without CAT. Would you by chance know what the differences are?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:21 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen 8 - 10 bhp from a chip on a dyno before. If I can find it from a few years ago I'll post it.

I agree with the gas issue. If you only have 91 octane, then don't do it! I have 100 octane less than 2 miles from my home

I'd also like to know about that jumper. I have an early car, but don't have the adjustable piece on the side.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:20 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 964 Chips

To summarize my experience with 964 chips ( I have extensive dyno time with Geoffrey).

A Cup or RS chip (about 3 degrees of advance timing) WILL RESULT!!! in about 10-11rwhp without any issues over a stock C2 chip. These engines run very lean @ 6000+ rpm and further gains are not significant by optimizing Air/fuel ratio's. !00 octane gas yield no futher gains. Further gains are achieved with the cup air box mod (+4rwhp) and euro premuffler w/ primary and secondary by passes. On the street I would run the Fabspeed euro premuffler and the secondary muffler as a compromise regarding sound, with a 6 rwhp/9rwtq penalty. There is a ton of hear say and anecdotal information, that is wrong. Only on a dyno can you tell what is truly going on. Seat of the pants impressions are worthless. If you want to chip your car, set up the exhaust for your application and dyno tune a chip. There are a lot of shops that can do this. If possible choose a shop that has a Dynapak dyno.

Bob

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 07-09-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: A 964 "Cup Chip" too good to be true?