964 ALARM - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 AM
azcowboy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 ALARM - PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

Just bought a 964 tonight..... Ran great for a 150 mile return trip home. Put it in my driveway - locked the door with the key......

Went outside to take it for a ride - and it won't start!

The alarm seems to be active - lights flashing - try to start and the engine turns - but no spark.....

I am guessing it is in some sort of anti-theft mode.

I read the book - it says to unlock the door with the key to reset the alarm. Tried that with both doors. No improvement. Have left it sitting for 30 minutes - it does not seem to fix or reset itself. Even if I leave the door unlocked.

HELP!

What can I do?

Or - is there some way to bypass this anti-theft system - as I see another person on this board asking? His message seemed to indicate some method possible.... I would be happy to take it to a Porsche mechanic for diagnostic - if I can get it started to get it there - short of a flatbed truck!

Please email me at claude@toolsineed.com with any information......

Thanks to all.

Claude
Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi,

I seem to remember having to turn the door key to the locked position 3 times in a row to reset mine..

Dave.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

First of all welcome ! Second it may be the DME relay. The older 944 version fail. Many here have had the same no start and or rough running from this thing. Fairly cheap 2 minute plug in fix.
So where are you and where are you pictures
Old 06-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You could always call the po and ask about any after market alarm or immobilizers - or to see if is has happened to them before.

Marc
p.s. Welcome.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car, Claude and where are you located?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:24 PM
azcowboy
4th Gear

Default Status update

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I managed - FINALLY - to deactivate the problem - by going to the passenger side door - and unlocking it repeatedly while moving the door back and forth..... I don't know which had the desired effect.....

The good news is now I can drive the car again. Until I can get it to the Porsche mechanic - Next Week! (are they all so busy?)

But I am afraid of this silly alarm now - and wish I knew how to deactivate it in the interim.....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Claude
Old 07-01-2005, 05:36 PM
azcowboy
4th Gear

Default Additional information

Hi all,

Trying to answer all the questions - forgive me if I have left out any.....

The car is a 1991 Carrera 2 with 5 speed. Started life as a targa - professionally converted to a convertible. Even the title is registered as a convertible - only the VIN number and the manual only top is a give away.....

The car is some sort of blue - purple color. It appears to be a factory color - I have seen one other coupe with it also. But it is fairly in your face - expecially in the bright desert sun. Yes - I am indeed from Arizona - Lake Havasu in particular - if anyone ever makes the Labor day or Memorial day parties out here.....

What else? Let me think...... It is my 2nd Porsche (I had a 1983 SC Targa once upon a long time ago), and I am the 3rd official owner of this car (there was a 4th but he never officially regestered the car). 79,000 miles - everything is as tight as can be - no engine leaks - no problems - fairly extensive maintenance history kept in the manuals. Everything works from the AC (thank God) to the power windows and locks. Needs a little paint from road chips and such on the hood and front skirt - but otherwise very clean without a single dent or ding...... Will have that done at a buddys body shop here in town who sprays show cars - it will be right....... Interior immaculate - black. Only wear is on the arm rests on the door..... Otherwise perfect. Power window switches were broke - just replaced them in 5 minutes this morning - works perfect.

My new white gauge faces just arrived this morning also - so I will have a new set of stark white gauges done and installed by tomorrow AM....

The Blaupunkt stereo works - but honestly - shall soon go the way of the buffalo. Looking for a long deal on an Alpine 9835 if anybody knows of one....

Having this stupid alarm system issue. Probably a contact or something. Does anyone know how to disable this silly thing?

The car is not absolutely perfect - but - after a few touch ups to the paint and so forth - it will be a solid 98% car......

So - anyway - once is all done - I will be happy to post a few pictures for everyone to look at.....

Thank you all for the welcome.

Claude
Old 07-01-2005, 05:41 PM
azcowboy
4th Gear

Default The website

Hi Indy,

The website used to be mine - it was acquired by a different group of fellows out of Salt Lake city, and is now theirs. I still work with them as a business consultant and webmaster at this time - although I may accept their offer to move to SLC and help manage part of their retail operations. Great products - and a great group of guys.

Thanks,

Claude

Quick Reply: 964 ALARM - PLEASE HELP!