Porsche factory in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 09:41 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Post Porsche factory in Germany

Anyone know how to find tourist info on the Porsche factory in Germany. We are considering a trip to Germany in the summer, and I would feel a need to go there. I was looking for things like when is it open, do we need reservations, etc. I could not find any contact points on the PCA.ORG site. Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-31-2001, 12:33 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

I took Tourist Delivery of a Boxster in September, 1998. For a Porsche enthusiast, a trip to Germany without a visit to the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen is like vanilla ice cream without chocolate syrup.

The factory has a small museum of notable cars, several dating to pre-"Porsche" times (i.e. before 1948). Given very limited space and a plethora of museum cars, I believe the cars rotate in and out fairly regularly.

Some of the scheduled tours of the factory are conducted in English. You can see almost the entire assembly process, including engine. About the only thing you'll miss is the paint shop.

Top it off with lunch in the Cantina, and it makes for the perfect morning.

The one thing you *won't* likely be able to do is visit Weissach. Porsche is a more persnickety about letting people visit the motorsport/track facility. I know that participants in a Porsche "Grand Tour" get to visit Weissach, but I'm unaware of other such opportunities.

If you have a relationship with a salesperson at a local Porsche dealer, contact him/her to help schedule your visit. If not, you'll need to contact PCNA in Atlanta. The phone number for Porsche Customer Commitment is (800)545-8039.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Getting into Weissach center is difficult, driving to town of Weissach is a pleasant drive in the German countryside. You can at least drive by the entrance for a photo op at the R&D center. I've seen prototypes on the public roads during drives around the area, so this may be a worthwhile drive after a visit to the factory.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Monty Willis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concur with all mentioned above and would add that while in Zuff, visit the Centrum, or the central Porsche dealership right across (actually within the midst) of the factory buildings. Unbelievable. Also, for planning, August is not the time to visit as the factory is closed for (I believe) the first two weeks and not open again (this past year) until the 26th of Aug. I was there at exactly the wrong time this past year. Left the day before the factory opened back up for tours. Actually the day I went, the factory was back up and running, but they dont like to restart the tours until all the restart kinks are out of the line. The museum and Centrum was open, so I was able to visit both of these. I was however able to peer throught the fence and see what must have been over a hundred Porsches lining every roadway inside the factory compound, waiting for delivery. Awesome! Also visit the various "rings" while there - take a ride.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:55 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks very much for all the info. Now all I need is a cheap airfare.

Quick Reply: Porsche factory in Germany