Sponsored by:

Poor Running - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 04:25 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well here we go...

I decided to disconnect the O2 sensor first at is seemed to be the easiest thing to test first as per Adrian's suggestion. I disconnected it and started the engine from stone cold. It had a hard time starting and did idle poorly for a few seconds. After about 30 seconds it stabilized and I proceeded to turn on the A/C. I turned it on and the engine revved fine as always when cold. I waited about 10 minutes of revving/idling and could not get it to stumble/stall. I did it for another 10 minutes - same results. Everything was fine. Car ran great with A/C on or off any fan setting. Car's fixed. Must need an O2 sensor right. Here is the weird part... I connected the O2 sensor back up and started her up again (the real acid test) to see if I could make it fail now with the O2 sensor back on line. I could not get it to fail. No chugging/stalling NOTHING. It ran great no matter what setting on the fan A/C on or not.

I still want to replace the O2 sensor as clearly something is "up" with the thing. Do you need a special tool to get it out of there or do you red knuckle it with a regular socket?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

I am know really happy with this vehicle. It appears that many of my problems were related to this O2 sensor. I couldn't get it to hesitate on the 10 mile drive I took no matter what I did. Od that just having disconnected it and reconnected it that things would clear up so much.

Let's close this post
Old 01-07-2002, 04:31 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Slant,
The O2 sensor connectors are known to corrode. If the problem stays away then just leave it and this post alone. If the problem returns then change the O2 sensor.
Please remember the O2 sensor plays no role in a cold start. Hot start yes but not cold.
Ciao and I hope your problem is soilved. If you do replace the O2 sensor, please shell out the money and purchase one with a Porsche part number. Not the OEM version.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Poor Running - Need Help