Ignition wire arcing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 09:03 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patrick,

I don't know if the wires come with the boot. I do know that you can buy each boot separately, because I only bought the one that replaced the broken boot.

-- Melissa
Old 01-08-2002, 06:54 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Patrick, all wires I have seen come complete with boots, the total package. What Melissa is saying is that you can order the individual boots from the dealer.

My take on this whole matter is that if one wire/boot/connector is having problems...the others are soon to follow. I plan to order a full set when I do my valve adjustment in a few weeks...I'm going to "PROD" Magnecore into making me a set. I'll let you guys know what happens with that one.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:36 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff & Patrick,

Actually, I didn't know that the wires came with the boots. Now I know for sure, so thanks for clearing this up. And Patrick, sorry to cause you more confusion -- I wasn't sure you'd get new boots and thought the new wires might not cure your situation.

Yes, you can definitely buy the boots separately. If you can track down the problem to just the boot (if the crack is bad enough, you can feel it when you jiggle it), you can save yourself lots of $$ by just buying the boot.

Jeff, good luck on the Magnecores. Don't some of the aftermarket plug wires interfere with the radio reception? (Seems like I read that somewhere....)

-- Melissa
Old 01-12-2002, 09:26 PM
964Cab
Instructor

Melissa, et al:

Yesterday I put in new ignition coils and their companion ignition "ignitors" but soon my original problem came back (sudden loss of juice to all 12 plugs at once in an intermittent fashion).

Today I noticed arching between one of the new ignition coils and the coil's ground stud. I took the coil plug off and could not see any holes. I put some electrical tape around the coil plug but the arching continued. So then, per recommendation of a local electrical store, I put some high voltage high resistance silicon rubber putty between the coil's ground stud and the coil plug and the arching has stopped.

Melissa, you noted that I could get just new boots and keep the wires. What is the part number for the coil boot ? Oddly there isn't a Porsche factory 964 spark plug kit.
Many thanks,
Patrick
PS: I also found that the rear spolier ground strap was partially bare and that too could have been a source of arching as the strap is near the coils when the engine lid is in the closed position. I taped that up with lots of electrcial tape. So far I have no more problems and hopefully this fixes my problem.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:50 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Patrick,

Bummer, I thought you solved your problem.

It looks like you found the problem that was in TSB #29201 Ignition Cables Chafe on Ground Strap (March, 1992). One cure is to move the ground strap so it's on the side of the hinge rather than on the bottom side, coming into contact with your ignition wires.

As far as the spark plug boot goes, I need to look at my receipt to find the part number. However, I don't recall there being a boot for the coils.

Hope you get this solved for good.

-- Melissa
Old 01-13-2002, 03:59 PM
964Cab
Instructor

Melissa: My car is fixed, it runs fine now that I have stopped the arching to ground at the primary ignition coil. I taped the spoiler strap wire up with lots of electrical tape and. I'll order new coil to dist cables tomorrow.

Take care,

Patrick

(Come on Ravens, beat the Fish)

Quick Reply: Ignition wire arcing