Interior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Michael Coley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Interior Door Handles

My wife and I just returned to the Porsche fold after a ten year absence. Kids, careers, etc., came first until about two weeks ago. We bought a '90 C2 coupe from a friend. It has under 22k miles, and was driven regularly-just not often or far. All service records were present, and even the AC seems to work pretty well (already had a chance to try it out as we've had some fairly hot days here in Kansas already).

I'd like to replace the plastic interior door handles with something a little more substantial. Just how are the old ones removed? The rod that actuates the opening mechanism obviously pops out of the handle, but the pivot end is what I'm not sure about. I'm certain it can't be too difficult, but I'd like to find out just what to do and what parts could be lost or broken before diving in. I checked with the local Porsche dealer and they were less than helpful.

And by the way, our C2 sure does run better than my old '68 912.

Thanks in advance, and I've really enjoyed the 964 Forum.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Michael;

Welcome, IT is easier to remove the lower door pocket first, There are 5 philips fasteners that hold the lower pocket on and one that screws into the door handle. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:56 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, once you remove the screws which hold the door pocket, the door pocket typically will remain stuck to the door. Gently pry one end of it loose; the part closer to the door hinge should be easier to remove first. From there, work your way back and you should be able to remove the entire door pocket.

Quick Reply: Interior Door Handles