Sponsored by:

Car cover recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:39 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car cover recommendations

I keep my car garaged for the most part, 4 months a year only a carport. I bought a $79 car cover that is soft not waterproof and it works fine except it leaves like a white dust residue when I take it off. A bud told me he quit using his Porsche factory cover for the same reason, another bud with a nice aftermarket cover also has the same problem. Anyone have one they recommend? I have no problem buying a good one, but would like one that leaves the car as clean as it is when I cover it..
Old 06-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the California Car Cover Customweave. It's specialty is indoor car storage. I never get a residue from it and the car stays CLEAN. I'll post a picture tomorrow if I get the chance.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Covercraft (?). It's just plain tan and cost about $80. I keeps alot of the dirt and dust off the car, but there always seems to be a light layer of dust when I pull the cover. I got a set of California Dusters to handle that.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Red RS.. I called California Car Cover Co, they told me that I should take the cover to the laundrymat and put it in a large tumble washer, that most likely the white dust would stop, it is residue from the waterproofing.... I have reservations on that... They recommended the 'Noah' material they sell. I'm holding off until hopefully a couple of our peers concur a certain cover works. Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
gregC2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody ever washed/cleaned a California Car Duster? I have a Covercraft (blue) cover and i get blue dust every time i take it off the car.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I've washed my car cover to remove dust/dirt. I don't remember the manufacturer but its a basic cotton cover. I normally wash it once a year or so otherwise, it seems to feel gritty and I don't want the grit to scratch the paint.

As for GregC2's question, I've never washed my California car dusters. Wouldn't that remove their oil/chemical that allows them to pick up dust?

Addition: I just checked the California Car duster web site. The answer is yes, you can wash the dusters. Their FAQ explains how. http://calcarduster.com/faq.asp
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD
Red RS.. I called California Car Cover Co, they told me that I should take the cover to the laundrymat and put it in a large tumble washer, that most likely the white dust would stop, it is residue from the waterproofing.... I have reservations on that... They recommended the 'Noah' material they sell. I'm holding off until hopefully a couple of our peers concur a certain cover works. Thanks
I have owned a Noad car cover from them and I hated it. It got dirty and showed it very easily and it was extremely bulky! It took up about twice the space of my current cover, which is not pleasant if you're trying to travel with it.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

West Coast Covers. Best. Thin, resists everything and fold up and fit in front trunk and not take up much room. Fit is impecable. Just bitchen.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:14 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Porsche Tequipment cover and I love it! It's very light and fits like a glove with deep elasticised wraps front and rear; the silver exterior keeps the car cool even in the sun and sheds dust and debris that settles on it; microfiber panels on the inside at the pressure points protect the paintwork; and it is water-resistant up to a moderate rainfall. I bought it (gently used) on eBay for $100, about half of what Performance sells it for. I wasn't keen on the fact that it has PORSCHE emblazoned across the hood, but then the shape says clearly what is underneath, anyway! It has a clear panel to see the rear license plate, presumably so you can find your car among all the other similarly wrapped 911s in the country club parking lot.
My car parks in the driveway and is covered every night, after brushing off any grit with my trusty California duster.
So, my long-winded 2-cent opinion is: check out the Tequipment cover, too.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

RedRS- I got the custom weave from California Car Cover. Love it, no residue, nice.... thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Car cover recommendations