Front wishbone bushes split

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Johnny G:
<strong>

Anyway, just had both front suspension top mounts replaced at the OPC - they had allegedly split and caused an MOT fail. It is the rubber that splits - have a look at your mcpherson strut mounts from inside the front trunk - they are metal set in rubber.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Johnny

Are you saying that you can see the split from the top? If so mine are OK. But somehow I doubt it!?

BR
Piers
Old 10-11-2002, 05:26 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Piers,

Sorry about the delay in replying. The wishbone bushes delaminate which causes the lower arm to move laterally, this causes wandering both under heavy braking and high speed cruising. I've got a photo of mine from the PPI, but I don't know how to upload pics onto here.

I had a split O/S/F top mount too. Its not the seat inside the top of the mount (that you can see from the luggage comp) that splits, its the seat underneath the mount, that the whole front end sits on.

I replaced both of them when I had the H&R kit fitted. You get a choice of OEM or uprated ones, or to go the whole nine yards - uniballs. They have no rubber at all. I think the cup cars have those as standard, and possibly RS's? But pre-warn your dentist if you're considering those!!

Ricco, yes the alignment did contribute to the better set-up, but the w/bone bushes really exacerbate the situation. Paying for a realignment with delaminated bushes is probably not worth the expenditure.

Rob W
Old 10-11-2002, 05:28 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Sorry Ricco, I meant JohnFM re: the alignment.

Rob
Old 10-11-2002, 05:54 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Rob W,

If you want to upload the photo do as follows:

- click on 'upload photo' at the top of the page, this will take you to a new page
- search with the browse button for the pic you want to upload (there is a max size)
- if all is ok you will then see your pic and it will give you a url, copy this (and maybe paste it somewhere in the meantime)
- reply to the relevant post and click on the 'IMAGE' button, its in the 'Instant UBB Code' section
- pronto! image should be up
Old 10-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Rob W:
<strong>Piers,

Sorry about the delay in replying. The wishbone bushes delaminate which causes the lower arm to move laterally, this causes wandering both under heavy braking and high speed cruising.

Rob W</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks rob.
I'm going for a late night 125 mile high speed run tonight so I'll check again for 'wandering'
BR
Piers
1990 C4 Coupe
55K miles

Quick Reply: Front wishbone bushes split