Sponsored by:

Newbie...requires step by step....idiots guide to check oil level

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Johnny-Cat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How to Check the oil in a Porsche 911.

For Porsche models 3.0 SC, 3.2 Carrera, 964, Turbo I, Turbo II, 993.

So often its done wrong, and not just by the owners. You must check whilst running and when truly hot.

Often garages who are unfamiliar with the correct procedure get it wrong. And too much oil can be bad news. Its easiest to check after a drive.

Inside the car you have an oil level indicator (right beside the fuel level). This shows the level in the oil tank.

In the engine compartment you have a dipstick. It too shows the oil level in the tank. You can check the dipstick to make sure the gauge is telling the truth. The procedure is exactly the same.

1. Your Porsche must be at running temperature - i.e. it must have been running for 15 minutes or more (more in cold weather).

2. With the engine hot you must let it idle for 60 seconds (this allows the oil to settle and a true reading).

3. The gauge should read between a third and two thirds.

4. The dipstick will reflect the level on the gauge.

5. Add oil as required. There is less than two litres between the 'full and empty' marks. Add 1/2 litre at a time.

That's it. Job done.

Check the oil during or after a drive - most 911 will use some.

Note:

When the engine is cold (first thing in the morning) the gauge will read empty.

When the engine is turned off it will read empty.

When you drive the reading is inaccurate - it may swing around but means nothing.

Don't panic and overfill.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnny-Cat:
Pardonmypov (02-17-2022), pauldcat (04-16-2024)
Old 08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is excellent info. The gauge readings are exactly what I was seeing. I just about birthed a brick when I saw the needle at empty when I started it on the 1st morning of ownership. Glad I waited for it to heat up.

What I noticed when I checked mine last night (right after I drove home from work, about 40 miles), then let it idle for a few minutes in the garage.. was that the oil level seemed to be well above the top notch on the dipstick. I wonder if the shop where I bought it from had over-filled the oil! :0 It's not smoking, it runs great.. should I just let it burn/leak off until I need to add more so should I check ti again carefuly when I get home and if still high drain some?

Yes, this is my first Porsche.... and I'm SO GLAD this thread is still active.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Garwick
I find that the oil on the dip stick is very difficult to see. It is about the same color as the stick and is always very clear. I find it helpful to hold the stick against a light source and look for the glare of the oil against the slightly dull color of the of the dry metal of the stick. I also rely on my thumb and finger to feel for the oil.
I thought it was just me! The oil is indeed really difficult to see on the dipstick. I always take the dipstick out, clean it, re-insert it and then pull it out to make the check, but it's really hard unless you get the light just so that the oil glistens a bit.

There must be a better way :-)

Why is the oil so clean/clear? I remember years ago having a Renault 4 (30 bhp of snarling power) and when I checked the oil in that it was always really dark and obvious on the dipstick - perhaps that was because I rarely changed it
Old 08-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I roughed up my dipstick with Scotchbrite to make it easier to read.

Quick Reply: Newbie...requires step by step....idiots guide to check oil level