Sponsored by:

Newbie...requires step by step....idiots guide to check oil level

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 08:12 AM
cockyapple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie...requires step by step....idiots guide to check oil level

Can you experts out there provide a newbie a step by step idiots guide to checking the car has the correct oil level.......were the oil should come to on dipstick.......what the incar gauges should read etc ect........remember an idiots guide please!!!!!!!!!

steve
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,

This is listed in the owners manual but from memory I think the steps are:

-Oil should be checked with the car sitting on level ground with the engine running.
-Let the car warm to operating temperature.
-Check the dipstick level - shold be between the two notches.
-If you need to add any oil turn off the negine first or else things could get very messy!
-Make sure you do not overfill so it's best to add a little, check again and add more as necessary.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

First of all, your oil level gauge (the right half of the far left gauge in the cluster) will not show anything unless the engine is up to operating temperature. This is determined by the oil temperature gauge which is the left half of the gauge that's just right of the fuel level/oil pressure gauge. The needle in the temperature gauge needs to be up to the first single line. Then, if your gauge or dipstick is showing low add oil.
I add with the engine running but just be careful and don't pour too fast. You'll be adding small amounts at a time anyway. You can actually watch the oil level gauge move up as you add the oil. Add until this dial is pointing to 3 o'clock. At this point the dipstick should also be reading between the two notches, probably closer to the upper notch. I believe the difference between the notches is 1 1/2 quarts.
Also, the 2 best things you can do to better understand your car are get Adrian Streather's book and join Rennlist. $ well spent.
Good luck.

c
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also... As far as your oil level gauge goes... It is normal to see the level go down to nothing (or at least very low) as you drive... Then back up to the correct position when you come to a stop and idle. Just make sure when adding oil that you DON'T OVER FILL IT! The difference between "Just Right" and overfilled is not much.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:45 AM
greenjt
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The needle in the temperature gauge needs to be up to the first single line. Then, if your gauge or dipstick is showing low add oil.
c
By first single line do you mean the line just above the line at the very bottom of the guage or the line at ~8 o'clock? My oil level guage does not register any reading until my temp gets to the line at 8 o'clock (is this where the thermostat opens?)
Old 06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another couple tips:
-My oil gauge can vary tremendously depending on the oil temp. Two needle widths on the temp gauge can be the difference between the level gauge reading empty and full (even when idling on a flat surface).
-To second Smokin's advice, do not overfill! You're not going to break anything, but if you overfill you run the risk of polluting the intake system with the oil and your idle , or general running characteristics, may suffer. The difference between the top mark and the bottom is only 1 qt. anyway, so even if the oil is only to the bottom mark you've still got a good bit of oil in there.
Brian
Old 06-16-2005, 01:48 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

1. Get car HOT. Drive until thermostat opens, then until 3rd tick on temp gauge 8 o'clock-ish or higher.
2. Stop car on level ground. Leave running.
3. Wait 1 minute.
4. Check gauge. Reading should be roughly level - 3 o'clock-ish. Higher is OK if engine is truly hot and not over the full mark. Lower is OK if not sitting at the bottom.
5. Check dipstick. Check dipstick again. And again. Scratch head. Check dipstick again. Hope for glimmer of oil on dipstick at identifiable level between the top and bottom marks. Should roughly correspond to level on gauge.
6. If you're sure oil is low, add oil in small increments - 250 ml or ~ 1 cup at a time. Wait about 1 minute. Repeat steps 4 to 6 until you're satisfied the level is appropriate.
7. Stop car. Congratulate self on defeating the gnomes of Stuttgart - until next time...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

I find that the oil on the dip stick is very difficult to see. It is about the same color as the stick and is always very clear. I find it helpful to hold the stick against a light source and look for the glare of the oil against the slightly dull color of the of the dry metal of the stick. I also rely on my thumb and finger to feel for the oil.

Point two regarding the gauge readings. I do not care what my oil level gauge says, I only pay attention to the level on the dip stick. When cfhanging oil, the guages can be very misleading.

Point three, as stated again and again. DO NOT OVER FILL!!! I am a pretty savy car guy and still did this once (even knowing better) and will never, ever do that again. Sneak up to the correct level very carefully and only a half a pint at a time toward the final level. RUN IT A QUART LOW FOR A BIT BEFORE COMING UP TO THE CORRECT LEVEL! When I overfilled, the dip stick first read OK and the gauges were right in the middle during the first 20 miles or so. Then I turned a hard left corner and all hell broke loose. I don't know where the "other oil" came from, but I laid down a smoke screen in the center of Fresno, CA that had all sorts of people ducking for cover. I was over a quart high when I rechecked it in a parking lot. Car sputtered like mad, check engine light looked like the 4th of July, and I needed the throttle block cleaned out with considerable expense and other problems for the next 200 miles or so.

Point being, it is much better to run a quart low than a quart high. Also, by running a bit on the low side on the dip stick, by '91 leaks much, much less.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just one other thing to add...
You need to make sure the Oil Thermostat is open to ensure you get a correct reading - this is why the engine needs to be warmed up. A good way to see if the thermostat is open, is to feel the carpet below the passenger door (LHD car). If it's warm, then it open, allowing hot oil is flowing down the pipes to the Oil Cooler in the front bumper.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:36 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

I too just went through my first oil change. I decided my "warm" level was temp needle well past 8'ish and the oil cooler fan cycling on and off a couple times. Now I KNOW the thermostat is open and it's ok to check the level. You just sit there idling for quite a while if you don't start with a hot engine.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

... also ignore the bottom side of the dipstick, only read the top side with the level marks on it. Some people see oil on the bottom side of the dipstick and by accident assume their gauge is busted (in reality there running with 2+ quarts too little).

Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jason,
Sure hope your car isnt running in those pictures
Old 06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

By first single line do you mean the line just above the line at the very bottom of the guage or the line at ~8 o'clock? My oil level guage does not register any reading until my temp gets to the line at 8 o'clock (is this where the thermostat opens?)
Yes, I mean the 8 o'clock line just like in Jason's picture. I said single to differentiate it from the two at the bottom that are very close together.

c
Old 08-24-2006, 02:24 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimq
Jason,
Sure hope your car isnt running in those pictures
How could it be running? It's out of gas!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Agree with above comments, especially DarrylK's about getting the engine HOT... I've found the gauge is more accurate when the oil needle has been ABOVE 8 o'clock and then dropped back below the tick mark at 8 (indicates the oil cooler fan is working). Also: the difference between the needle being in the red at hot idle and the needle being at 3 o'clock is not very much oil, not more than 5-8 ounces. If you overfill it, you can use a turkey baster to remove excess oil (be sure to wipe the turkey baster clean before secretly putting it back into the kitchen drawer!).

Last edited by Richard Curtis; 08-26-2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: to finish sentence.

Quick Reply: Newbie...requires step by step....idiots guide to check oil level