Sponsored by:

IS THERE A MANUAL TOP LATCH FOR 964 CAB

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS THERE A MANUAL TOP LATCH FOR 964 CAB

I've been contemplating the replacement of my electric top lock motors with manual locks. I've done a few searches and found nothing on this. Does anyone know if they are even available?

The power motors, cables and transmissions have already been removed, so now my top is almost completely manual for the exception of the top lock motors.

Thanks, Duncan
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I read where you have to take some of the stuff from a 3.2 and change out and jury rig a bunch of it. Didnt sound very easy to do. There was a thread talking about this a year or so ago I remember.
Cant you just use a screw driver in the slots to lock and unlock?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Jim,

I don't know, but I've also thought about bypassing the computer with a switch. I'm just tired of having to turn off the engine to get the locks to work.
Any thoughts on this idea?
I've been looking on the web for manual locks and have not been able to find any new or used, so maybe the electrical bypass is the only option?

Duncan
Old 06-13-2005, 10:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Mine has been wired so you dont have to turn the car off. All i need to do is click the parking brake one notch and I can raise and lower it. I can even leave it in drive (TIP) when doing it. Havent tried the top while moving but i think it may work that way to. Dont know how it was done as thats the way it was when i bought the car. I have seen a computer bypass on here before. Wasnt hard to do. Try a search. That was in the last year or so also. Sorry I cant help you more. Maybe an expert will chime in.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:22 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duncan
While waiting for my drive cables to arrive, I lowered and raised my top by hand. I carried around an electric screwdriver to unlock and lock the cams on the top locks. It can be done with a regular screwdriver, but is a pain to do. I'm thinking that just carrying around a small electric screwdriver may be a whole less hassle than trying to change the locking devices to the old style. It would also not mess up the appearance.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

My motors work fine, the only problem I have is turning off the engine before I can open the roof.

Think I'll do a search for the computer bypass that Jim mentioned, just to see what I can find. The screw driver may be a little inconvenient to use on a whim, although for a temperary stand in, it sounds like the ticket.

Duncan
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Duncan
i have looked all over for where I have seen the control unit conversion with no luck. I remember it was a matter of only jumping or bypassing 1 or 2 wires. Wasnt complicated at all. Finding out how is
Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks Jim,

Any ideas on where the controler for the top might be located? If I could just find the control leads then I may be able to jump passed the controler itself.

Duncan
Old 06-16-2005, 05:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

I am not at home but I bet Adrians book will tell you. I think its under the dash on the drivers side but not sure. I have looked on P-car.com thinking maybe i saw it there but didnt. I will take alook for mine tomorrow afternoon and see if I can see what was done and take a couple pictures.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Yea, Adrians book is da bomb. Was at work and didn't have it in front of me. Just thought someone may know off the top of their head and I could go out to take a looksee.

Now I'm starting to think that I may also bypass the the in dash switch and install a start button up in the area where the locking motors are. Just reach up, push the button and throw the top back.

Maybe I'm going a little overboard?

Duncan
Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

I guess you mean by controller being the thing that stops the motor when the top is fully shut or open. It is on the right side of the car behind the pax seat underneath the panel that covers the top transmission. It is a simple thing with a set of points that cut the electricity at the correct time. The thing is touchy and I have disconnected it. I just listen to the top when it is going up/down and when the motor starts to load up, it is time to stop running the thing. The controller is the one thing that I could not ever get adjusted properly.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Jerry,

The controler is a little black box somewhere in the car that prevents the top from being activated while the engine is running. The engine must be off, the ignition switch must then be placed in the on posision, and the emergency brake applied before the top will unlock from the windscreen.

I am trying to bypass these safeties in order to open the top without delay, manually. The pieces you mentioned are microswitches that tell the controler where the top is. I have removed all of these switches as well as the transmissions, rear motors and cables. My only demand now, is to find a set of factory manual latches/locks for the top, or rewire the electric ones so that I do not have to turn off the engine before unlocking the top.

Any suggestions are helpfull, Thanks

Duncan
Old 06-21-2005, 12:03 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Garwick
I guess you mean by controller being the thing that stops the motor when the top is fully shut or open. It is on the right side of the car behind the pax seat underneath the panel that covers the top transmission. It is a simple thing with a set of points that cut the electricity at the correct time. The thing is touchy and I have disconnected it. I just listen to the top when it is going up/down and when the motor starts to load up, it is time to stop running the thing. The controller is the one thing that I could not ever get adjusted properly.
The control unit that monitors all the switches is under the dash, next to the central informer on the driver's side - it's hard to find under there, but here it is:
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2005, 04:01 AM
robbed666
Racer

The oil pressure switch is linked into the cab controller so.......... It would be logical that the cab controller needs to see no oil pressure (engine off) before operating the roof. I haven't had time to go through the wiring diagram yet, but I can do to night if you're still need the info.

HTH
Old 06-21-2005, 04:32 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

I notice on my wiring diagram that the oil pressure sending switch line goes to the top control unit before it goes to the central informer. If the line to the top control unit is disconnected it should not bypass to the central informer. The line from the oil sender to the top control unit connects to the M2 #2 point, if I'm reading it right. If that point is disconnected from the oil sender and reads no voltage, the top should operate.

Quick Reply: IS THERE A MANUAL TOP LATCH FOR 964 CAB