Sponsored by:

Interesting observation on oil level

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:40 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting observation on oil level

Hey guys, yesterday I was topping off my oil to where it was just at the end of the feeler guage as is recommended on the 993tt forum (I have this setup). When I went to place the yellow cap on I noted I could see the actual oil surface....infact, if I had topped it off to where it would be at 1/2 the distance between marks the oil would be clear up to the neck of the filler spout. This would explain why previousy I had lots of oil around the base of the spout . While the guage inside the cabin did work, the oil level was just too high.

Just wondering if you guys see the surface oil when peeking down into your spout.

Jaime
Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope, never see the oil level. Maybe I'm not putting enough in but it is half-way between marks on dipstick.....

Marc
Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes it takes a while for the oil to find its way into the tank from the filler tube. No idea why. But if you open your oil cap now, and see the oil in the filler neck, I'd say you're over full and you'll be wiping up oil in the engine compartment. Are you sure you're reading that ridiculous dipstick accurately?? (That is what you mean by feeler gauge, right?) What does your dash oil level gauge read, HOT, at idle one minute, on level ground?

Quick Reply: Interesting observation on oil level