Cab Top Cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 07:08 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cab Top Cables

I just got my car back from the shop -- I'd been having trouble with the cabriolet top opening.

The symptoms were that within a second or two of the top starting to go down, the motors would sound very labored. Knowing how much damage you can do if you force the issue, I closed the top and left it alone.

Apparently the original cables are not designed well and can pop out. When my mechanic replaced the cables, he used a different part number, which should stay working (hopefully) forever. And they're quieter too.

If anyone's interested, here are the cable part numbers:

993 561 921 03 (left)
993 561 922 03 (right)

These puppies aren't cheap -- around $200 per cable.

Just thought I'd pass the info along to any of you who might have some cab top maintenance in your near future.

-- Melissa
Old 12-20-2001, 02:08 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Melissa,

Thanks for the info on Top cables. Don't have troubles now but good to be aware of these things in a 10 year old top.

This brings me to ask about my top. The top is in very nice condition and I've just done the full top treatment. At the point that the top meets the body above the Engine bonnet, what looks like a rubber gasket/ seal protrudes out from about half of the back. This may be a replacement top and not assembled perfectly. So ... how does one loosen the top so I can realign this seal???
Just one of those little details I notice, but is not a mainenance issue as there are no leaks.

And on this subject ... any other Cab Maint hints, adjustments etc would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:22 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack,

Sorry, but I don't know how to go about loosening the top to get at the front seal. Perhaps someone else might know.

I did want to let everyone know that the top operation with the new cables is MUCH quieter. I mean, it's practically whisper quiet, which certainly wasn't the case before. So, if any of you cabbies need to replace your cables, DEFINITELY ask about using the part numbers I listed above.

Now, about cab top maintenance. Jack, it sounds like you used the cab top protectant, which is good. If anyone's curious, Porsche makes a cabriolet top protectant that you should use twice a year. The Car Care Online site has a great write up on how to use it and why. Car Care Online

Here are some other things I've been told to do to prolong the life of my top:

1. Get any bird droppings off as soon as possible!

2. When lowering or raising the top, park the car on a flat surface. Otherwise the top motors get out of sync. $$ to adjust, and $$$$ if you don't have them adjusted and something breaks.

3. Use the boot cover, especially if you plan to drive on the highways. I've heard of seals blowing off at speed.

4. Before closing the top, unzip the plastic window to avoid creases. Bonus points if you put a towel on the window to avoid scratching. Double bonus points if the towel is the same color as the top -- prevents towel lint that you can see on the top.

5. Don't leave the top down for extended periods. (Like if you're parking your car in the garage for the night, it's a good idea to put the top up.)

6. When washing your car, if the top's not dirty, rinsing it with water will usually suffice. A lint brush is a nice tool to have for taking care of a cab top.

7. Plastic windows -- try Pledge (the furniture polish) to remove surface scratches, etc. If that doesn't work, Meguiar #18 (or one of their other products) will probably do the trick. If it's really hosed, then you can have an auto upholstery shop replace the rear window only.

OK, that's all I can think of. I'm sure others will have some more great tips.

Incidentally, I know that not everyone agrees about leaving the top down for long periods of time or the need to unzip the plastic window. These are the things that I do, and they work for me.

-- Melissa
Old 12-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts
Jack;

Take your rear deck panel out (all carpet), you will see three angled brackets. One end is mounted to your top, the other end mounts to your car deck. Loosen and do your adjustment. With all the rain that we have been getting, we need to do everything we can to keep the water out.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:35 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Thanks Melissa & Kevin,

Lots of good advice from Melissa - and I am an UnZip & cover advocate myself. Worked well 20 years ago on my FireBird, and I don't trust top shops to replace windows unless I have to. I used the top cleaner & Seal kit from Performance Parts...looks great.

Kevin - your answer sounds right on target, so I'll add that to my winter (Rain Rain Rain) list of adjustments.

Quick Reply: Cab Top Cables