Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope.

In a C4 the pads are 98 mm wide - the spreader has to be able to fit into that space in the caliper. To leave a little "wriggle" room I ordered a 90 mm spreader and it fits and works beautifully.

Some stock C2's, depending on year, come with 2 piston rear calipers (not 4 piston) so use even smaller pads - they may need an even smaller spreader (but, at that price, who wants to order two??).

Marc
Old 06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 02:57 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the famous search facility to dig up this thread which has answered most but not all of what I need to know.

I'm at the point where I can't get the rear pads in the calipers because of the 'lifted' spring plates .

I see that one solution is to file the edges of the pads but with the file I've got available my current estimate is it will take 3 days to do all four!

So, what can be done about the spring plates instead? Should they fit snuggly into the recess in the caliper? Mine look like they overlap the recess at each end. Should I take them out, file down the ends and put them back in?

Thanks

Steve
Old 03-24-2007, 04:00 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I used the famous search facility to dig up this thread which has answered most but not all of what I need to know.

I'm at the point where I can't get the rear pads in the calipers because of the 'lifted' spring plates .

I see that one solution is to file the edges of the pads but with the file I've got available my current estimate is it will take 3 days to do all four!

So, what can be done about the spring plates instead? Should they fit snuggly into the recess in the caliper? Mine look like they overlap the recess at each end. Should I take them out, file down the ends and put them back in?

Thanks

Steve
I just finished about an hour ago replacing my spring plates on a set of 4 piston calipers that I'm installing on the rears to replace the original 2 piston ones.

The corrosion behind the plate was so bad that the pads would not go in. This is from salt attacking the aluminum and causing it to "bloom". The solution is to take out the spring plates and clean the bloom from behind. BUTit's easier said than done. The bolts holding the plates in are "welded" with permanent Loctite. The method that I had to use was to heat each bolt head with acetylene till they were cherry red, then working them off with a cold chisle. The bolts will be shot, and need replacing.

I found that the spring plates were distorted from the bloom, and replaced them with OEM's purchased from Sunset for about $17 each (new bolts w/ Loctite included).

If this is too much.....find a bench grinder and take a little off the sides.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
I just.....find a bench grinder and take a little off the sides.
Exactly what I did.

Marc
Old 03-25-2007, 03:32 AM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used pliers to expand the caliper in order to get the old brake pad out. Here is a thread I started when I replaced my brake pad for the first time. Check out the photos submitted by other Rennlisters, it really helped me see what they were talking about.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-993-1995-1998/260561-first-time-replacing-rear-pads-questions.html

I was also lucky to be able to use the old brake pad sensors. You just need go really slow when you pry them out of the brake pad. They fit into a slot on the top of the pad and you need to use a small fine flathead screwdriver to wiggle it out of the slot. Go really slow and easy. I would have one or two new sensors handy just in case you break the part that fits into the slot. They run about $10 a piece at Pelican.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LouZ

If this is too much.....find a bench grinder and take a little off the sides.
Thanks Lou. I decided this was the best approach as I didn't want to have the car off the road if I ended up butchering the calipers while trying to remove the spring plates. And hey, next time around I might want to upgrade to 4 pot calipers

So I just dropped by my local DIY store and picked up one of those high speed hand tools (Dremmel multi) and fitted it with a grinding wheel. I took about a mil of each side and then painted them up with heat resistant paint. And saved myself many hours with a file and an aching arm

Ron, I already had the sensors because I knew at least one needed replacing as it set off the warning light. Interestingly, the pads were only half worn but because the sensor is positioned at the top, the badly big lip on the discs (very old) had carved through the sensor wires, setting off the wear indicator prematurely.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Guys, I was thinking that I should order a set of spring plates for my rear calipers to fit next time round so looked on the PET 964 technical document for the part numbers.

To my surprise the rear two pot calipers are shown without spring plates yet mine definitely have them fitted! Anyone know what's going on?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads