Sponsored by:

Feelings on Salvage Titles

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 12:15 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Question Feelings on Salvage Titles

I realize that this is a recurring thread topic, but there is a 1994 Speedster; 26.3k; Tip; but it needs repaint on drivers rear quarter. Appearantly the rear quarter was clipped and replaced. Some repair to speedster tonneau. I want to try to get the owner down to $24k and then trade cash and my 1990 944S2 Cab. One of my wrenches says any Speedster is worth getting. I would have liked a manual. If I go this route then I would be hanging on to this car a while. Obviously a Salvage title cuts into resalability, but it seems like these types of cars are quite available in California. Any thoughts. LA Porsche Dismantlers has the car.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:07 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contrary to popular belief a collision damaged Porsche can be rebuilt "correctly". This is not to say that all are. Barring a complete inspection of the chassis the only way to tell is to know the history of the car and who repaired it - and using what techniques? Most are not done correctly due to the expense.

That being said the salvage title will always strip at least 40% off the top of the value of the car. And that is for one done right.

Salvage cars are best for enthusiasts who know and love a specific car and want a great deal on it, they want to own something that they might not otherwise afford and are willing to keep it for a long time. They are not good for the type of owner that wants to have a different Porsche every few years because of the potential difficulty in the resale of the car.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:34 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
JC,

Recycling this theft recoveries and insurance jobs is what these guys seem to do out there. I really need to call Todd and find out what exactly was done and what it needs done. Also if he will drop the price. The Speedster is a real pretty shape, but if I am going to sink $3 to 6 thou into paint and 30k maintence I will be looking at a $30k or so 94 Speedster. That is about 1/3 less than what they are going for. The tip tranny is also kid of a minus as well, for me at least. Thanks for quick reponse.

Quick Reply: Feelings on Salvage Titles