Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 03:32 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post leaking windshield washing fluid filler

High,
Anyone ever come across this minor dilema,
Wind shield washer fluid comes up from underneith the filler cap that is bolted in., I took it out and cleaned it off, but that made things worse. No its not gasoline(tested it w/ a match, lol joke) any advise?
Thanx Geo..
Old 12-17-2001, 07:22 PM
John Miles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could be because your one-way valves have failed in the washer feed lines.

The two windscreen washer systems join each other near the jets and each feed line from the reservoirs has a one way valve in it. Thus when intensive wash is activated in cannot direct itself back down the normal wash feed into the reservoir there but is forced out to the jets where is should go. And vice versa.

My valves failed and when the normal wash was activated it fed down to the intensive wash reservoir in the trunk, filled this up and fluid sprayed out of the air vent hole in the reservoir cap and soaked the inside of the trunk carpet.

Now if your other valves had failed I can see the intensive reservoir feeding the normal reservoir and thus the leakage you see is caused by the overflow.

The valves are known to fail and gum up. I replaced the four of mine myself but it was damn fiddly working in a cramped space.

You should be able to diagnose this by powering washers and seeing if opposite reservoir level rises rather than falls. Additional sympton of problem is weak pressure thru one or both jets.

Good Luck,

John
Old 12-17-2001, 08:00 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Guys:

While we are on the esoteric subject of windshield wiper fluid, the light indicating that the fluid level is low recently turned on in my car and will not turn off, even though there's plenty of fluid and the spray works fine. Nobody needs to bust their brain on this one, but suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
'93 C2
Old 12-18-2001, 04:08 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear John,
This problem is not uncommon, especially after maintenance. Or at this time of year especially around where we are because it is so bitterly cold.
You will have to take your LH wheel off, remove the wheel arch coverings and get access to the tank. The most common problem is the connector is shorted out. Otherwise it is the fluid level switch inside the tank.
Pain in the butt, but unfortunately this is where Porsche mounted the tank,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: You can of course try the technical tap method. Get as close to the tank as possible and give it a tap to try and release the fluid level switch, which may just be stuck.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:45 AM
John Miles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Jon,
For instructions and pics on how to get to the tank replace the pump (normal wash) goto the Technical page on my site.

My pump motor failed as well this year (not related to faulty feedline valves)

John
Old 12-19-2001, 12:32 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts
A little side note, if you have a windshield pump failure, Porsche has replaced it with the 993 pump. You also have to install a new connector on your harness.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Kevin,
You can also use the Audi/VW version. Same pump, same Bosch part number, much cheaper. The original unit installed on the 964 was a 928 part number pump. The newer one is a 45 number I think. I purchased one of these and it went straight in. I have never seen a 993 unit offered yet. All three of my pumps have failed and all have been replaced with straight go into place, no mods units.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: leaking windshield washing fluid filler