Sponsored by:

Trickle Charger mains vs solar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 AM
sterya
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle Charger mains vs solar?

I am going to purchase a trickle charger for my 964....one that plugs into the cigar lighter socket. Do any of you have comments as to the best / most convenient charger....solar vs mains etc?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:21 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I have four racecars, I have bought Porsche Battery Maintainers for each. Although I cut off the lighter plug and use clips and go direct to the battery, this would be your best bet. Watch ebay or excellence and you'll find one at a reasonable price.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryan,

Depending on when and for how long you plan on using this thing, I'd probably advise against a "trickle charger" in favour of a proper "battery conditioner".

The difference is in the switching of the charge, in that a trickle charger continually charges the battery at a slow rate regardless of the state of the battery - potentially overcharging it if left connected for too long. The battery conditioner, on the other hand, will automatically switch off (at least stop charging) when the battery reaches full charge and switch back on again if/when the voltage drops.

Personally I use a Carcoon conditioner (see here) which is connected directly to the battery with the leads supplied and plugs in via an inline connector when needed. It can be left for weeks/months on end and keeps the battery in top condition.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 06-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Sten
Pro

Or you could look at an Optimate charger/conditioner, I paid £30 for mine at a show and use it on my car and bike. There is nil drain on the bike battery while it's stood in the garage, the Optimate cycles (!) the battery to keep it fully functional.

Barry
Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
sterya
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys....a conditioner is what I need. I will do some investigation and keep you updated on my decision.
Cheers,
Ryan
Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

In Nova Scotia today a wind powered charger would be more help than solar!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a solar charger to keep a tractor battery up in a location where power was not available. I did not last a year before it quit working. There was no way to fix it, and it was quite expensive. The "chipped" battery maintainers are the way to go.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:35 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a solar charger for the 'Stang. Mine didn't even last as long as Springer3's.
I now run a mains charger/de-sulphicator. No problems since.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 AM
sterya
Intermediate

Last night I borrowed my father-in-laws trickle charger that he uses through the cigar ligher socket on his Morgan Aero 8.....woke up this morning to find that my battery was completely flat! slightly concerning! I have now put the battery on 'proper' charge.
After doing a web search I have come accross this... http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/Pro...ryCareCTEK.htm , anyone got/ use one?
Cheers,
Ryan
Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Porsche conditioner works great. I have a 36 amp battery in my car... conditioner needed after each outing

On the other hand, my sister in law has a VW solar powered conditioner and it works great too. Through the cigar lighter.

Post your findings, I'd be interested.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
gilessav
Advanced

Sorry if this is a stupid question/comment, but i was under the impression that not all 964's had the lighter socket permanently live? My LHD car does so the trickle charger via the socket works fine and keeps the battery optimal, do the UK RHD cars have the live socket and therefore would a charger work? Just a thought.

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all of them. I had to get mine wired up so I could keep my solar charger connected - before finding it was crap and switching to a plug-in one anyway.

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger mains vs solar?