Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-assisted power steering for 964?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Non-assisted power steering for 964?

I am thinking of buying a 911 to replace my Boxster, however I started recently thinking of a 964 instead.

However I wanted to know if anyone has the power assistance removed from their 964 or have converted over to an RS steering rack. I really want a car with no power assisted steering, so if it was possible to switch over to no assistance on a 964 to improve the feedback, I would be more likely to get a 964 instead of a 911.

Is it expensive to switch? does it make a big improvement? (I am tech savvy so I could do it myself).

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Take a look at this thread.......

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=223426
Old 06-01-2005, 06:02 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I did this just a month ago and I don't regret it. When may old rack started to leak for the second time I made my decision which also involved driving my friends 964 RS to compare. I also found out that a new manual rack at Porsche was somewhat cheaper than a rebuilt power steering rack. I use my car for street and track but not as a daily driver.

OK, it's a bit heavier when parking but otherwise I dont think about it any more and the feeling IS better. You can save all the pipes, pump etc in the car if you regret the change, and just cut the belt to the pump. I took everthing out thoug and even bought the small cover that's supposed to replace the pump bracket. I can't fix hte cover until the engine is out of the car though. Changing the rack itself is rather easy.

If you want to go for a manual rack just make sure you have a manual rack in your garage before you start to remove things. When I tried to order it from my OPC I got a preliminary delivery date in July, and the pipes were already out of my car! Finally I found a brand new rack from Freisenger in Germany and they said these parts are really hard to find today. They didn't think Porsche would have a new batch ready until fall. Freisinger found two racks last fall at Porsche in Spain and what they now these were the last to in Europa, at least for the moment.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:29 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you pay for your rack Thomas?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Chris,
Maybe its because I've been driving with manual steering for so long but I can't stand power-steering in a Porsche. It makes a C2 feel like my old BMW 5 series, i.e. a floating school bus.

As of 5/17 when I last checked it costs $556.69USD plus $189.11USD core charge (which I guess you will lose). There were none in stock in the USA but that was a few weeks ago.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
I am thinking of buying a 911 to replace my Boxster, however I started recently thinking of a 964 instead.
However I wanted to know if anyone has the power assistance removed from their 964 or have converted over to an RS steering rack. I really want a car with no power assisted steering, so if it was possible to switch over to no assistance on a 964 to improve the feedback, I would be more likely to get a 964 instead of a 911.
Is it expensive to switch? does it make a big improvement? (I am tech savvy so I could do it myself).
Thanks
Chris
Have you considered an RSAmerica as a 'turn key' solution to your steering?
http://www.rsamerica.net/market/vehicles/index.htm
Old 06-02-2005, 02:44 AM
michaelhofastcar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
Interesting to know that you are considering an older 911 to replace your Boxster. The steering feel of a Boxster is already super sensitive and give direct response. So what are you looking for when you want to make a manual steering out of a 964 or go even further back to a 3.2 Carrera?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 AM
oldtimer
Racer

Just a comment that Euro spec LHD 964RS has really heavy steering especially using grippy tyres and coping with tight bends at speed...I'd settle for a bit of power assist if I had the choice !
Old 06-02-2005, 05:50 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Agent packer: The new manual rack cost me 1060 USD and an rebuilt P/S rack would have cost med 1200 USD. As a exchange part the manual rack is just 660 USD but you can't use a P/S rack as a core part. Porsche just allows exchange with the same part number.

Oldtimer: Do you mean that the RS America rack has another gearing than the Euro RS version?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)

Thanks

Chris
Have you actually driven a power-assisted 964? Its just that IMHO it is not very asissted in any case and provides much more feedback than almost every other car I have ever driven....if you have and didn't like it, please ignore this post
Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Just one more thing. The main reason I changed to a manual rack was that I had to replace my leaking p/s rack. The manual, was cheaper, lighter, adds a few HP, and wont leak anymore. And I had tried a car with a manual rack so I knew I liked the feeling of it. I wouldn't tear out a flawless p/s rack and spend 1000 USD just to get a manual instead. You can put that kind money on other upgrades!
Old 06-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default thanks for the responses

As far as driving cars with manual steering (and good response/feeling) I have owned a few of the best although they are not available in America but a few of our European friends will recognise them:

Peugeot 205 GTI
Renault 5 GT turbo (I also fitted a racing quick-rack to this 2.5 turns lock to lock)
Mini (not BMW mini, but original one)

And I've driven some others but not owned:

Lotus Elise Series 1
Renault 5 Turbo 2

I guess I am spoiled now and I want to get back to basics, its not that the Boxster steering is bad, for power assisted its quite good, but its definately a little "dead", I've even tweaked the alignment which made a little difference, but not much.
I drove a few 3.2 carrera's before I bought the Boxster, and from memory there was certainly a nice feel to it, I could feel the extra effort loading up the front suspension as I cornered something I find lost in the Boxster (it just gets lost in the mechanism), I can feel more of what the car is doing and find this more enjoyable than just going "fast".
In answer to folks about the RS, I think in the future I will need the rear seats, so an RS is out really, even retro-fitting the seats isn't a real option.

I think the best thing for me to do is drive a 964 and 911 and compare the difference, I have heard the RS 964 America is very good in its tactile feedback, I wish I could try one but I doubt I will be able to.

Thanks again

Chris

Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 PM
oldtimer
Racer

Hi ThomasC2 , in answer to your question, my understanding is that the 964 RS America has the same non power assisted steering as the euro LHD 964RS. As a UK resident I would make a distinction that the UK RHD 964RS has power assist rack same as 'normal' 964C2. I drive a LHD 964RS with non power assist , but have also driven RHD with power assist.
I'd agree with Christer that as far as steering feel goes , the power assist rack is fine ....very little trade off for the benefits of power assist. The main disadvantage I find with non power assist is that I have to sit a lot closer to the wheel to get enough leverage on it.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:15 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

I'm in the power assisted camp as well. The power assisted cars have as much feel as you could ever need; Putting in more effort isn't IMHO nessacerly improving the steering.
Even with power assisted steering, running big grippy R tyres means that tight corners are a real wrestling match. After a full day at the track I'm knackered with power assisted steering, brakes and clutch. The amount of effort to operate these controls all day without power assistance would be beyond me I'm afraid.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My 92 Euro Cup is manual steering, has R compounds and provides fantastic feel and feedback. I don't have any issue manuevering in the paddock and don't find myself tired out from driving.

Quick Reply: Non-assisted power steering for 964?