Mail order Parts vendors Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 03:11 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Wink

I have had very good service and prices from Vertex on parts for two different model 911's. My two cent's worth.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:05 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

THANKS to all for the comments!

I have decided to stay true to Porsche and have sent out e-mail request to several Dealers. So far the first reply from my local Dealer and Club sponsor priced brake parts at $879 - So I'll wait for a few others from out of state (no 8.9% sales tax) and let you all know what I end up with.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:34 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

@Roygarth

What is difference between OE, OEM and Original Porsche parts

OE = Original Equipment made by;
OEM = Original Equipment Manufactorer

Porsche = OE

Not all OEM are saleing OE ident parts in the aftermarked. Sometimes they would have to use Porsche patentet technologys or Porsche owned tooling. But most OEM have high quality standards at least they fullfill the in germany setet technical approvals. And those are relatet to the specific ABE from the cars.
If Porsche sets the standards in the ABE and parts are sold specific for Porsche they have to meet the standard. If the manufactorer does "wrong" label he is in full responsibility. Yet there isn´t real power behind it. The only way for them to get "sued" is if the TÜV sees a defektive part at technical inspections or a accident relatet to the part happend.
On the other side if a OEM send one part out of Porsche specs to the factory returns the complete charge and each item has to be profed single untill the OEM can tell why the parts was under standards and made a "sure" solution. Doesn´t matter if the OEM makes 60 pieces a day ( cranks ) or 600000 pieces a day ( nuts ). They have 0 tolerance.

The OEM from the newer generation cars discs will not sale parts to the aftermarked so what you get is a other OEM product witch isn´t OE in that specific field.

Now if you had the opportunity to vist the OEM´s and "sneak" around there you will see different companyphilosphies. Just reguarding discs a old observation:

Whenever i came to Sebro to fetch some parts or talk about special production series I was seeing how they work. When i need a Porsche part they just fetched a disc from stock or production let it trough there engraver to receive the trademark and then paked it up. I also could have asked if they engrave other trademarks ( ATE, Textar, and the P mark ) as all the discs come from the same source. A other observation was the large amount from old iron containers siting outside stufed with many very good finished looking parts.
Yet several miles around the corner is a other company and they are much better organized. They have less containers siting and they are strangely only filled with bad looking parts. If you wan´t something special they can´t do it except you order a complete run and if they fetch new discs they have them ready packed on a own shelf.
The sales department from that company has a larger office then the main head and sonstructor from sebro. If you visit Sebro you will see the main head is a engeneer and has his office stucked up with old discs ( Well the first time I saw 917 discs )and with new discs to check the quality and those new discs are marked with a big sign telling where the problem is. As a normal thinking mechanic ( and knowing that both buy the same raws from the same companys ) I trust the Sebro company much more then the other yet I never had problems with both companys. OK i like to support people who are not slik sales orientatet.

discs / rotors ?

Well normaly I would write Bremsscheibe with transfers to brake disc but the most used rotor.
Yet I think the rotor /disc is that rotors are ventet and discs are solid.

Germans use Rotor to descripe the even rotatation from a uncircular object wich is internal balanced. Like the rotorblades from a helicopter or the rotary engine. Even a crank or camshafts can be descriped as rotor.

A special form to use the word Rotor is in combination with moved air or other mediums. The hydraulic converters from a automatic transmisson has a rotor inside ( rotor, stator, converter ).

Grüsse
Old 12-19-2001, 03:34 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

TWIMC and replied to my ? about Brake part sources,

I made several e-mail inquiries to Porsche dealers advertising in EXCELLENCE, and "OEM" vendors.

Prices for all pads & Rotors range from over $800 from one Local dealer to another Out of State who qouted 20% over Dealer cost which he said was $320 = $385 +shipping. The OEM Folks at Tweeks/Vortex/Performance where $524 to $710 +shipping

So. It pays to shop around & EXCELLENCE saved me the subscription price x 10. I'll but Genuine Porsche parts at less than "OEM" prices.

Thanks again for all the advice .... and thanks to RENNLIST which also more that pays for it's dues !

Quick Reply: Mail order Parts vendors Quality?