RSR Struct Brace (GT-2 Evo, 95)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR Struct Brace (GT-2 Evo, 95)

Here is a neat little peice i just picked up.

i am planning to install this in the cup car when it gets back together
Old 05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Excellent piece.
May I ask where you found it?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

actually it came in via an email through the cup car site. if i fin anything else i will be posting on the cup car for sale sections (soon to be built)
anyone know of an orignal 92' cup car strut brace for sale?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

I just picked up a copy of this strut bar at Fabspeed. See their web site. The slotted holes are too wide by about 1/2" with the car on the wheels. Have you fitted yours to your Cup car on the ground, weight on wheels, or do you plan to install it with the weight of the wheels hanging from the car. I ASSUME their is some flex in the strut towers that would make the bar fit easier with the wheels off the ground. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim C.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:11 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a guy on ebay that bought a whole shipment of the 92 cup car strut braces from Germany. They have the same porsche part number as the one on my car.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 AM
IanR
Racer

If you fit a strut brace whilst the wheels are off the ground, would you need to re-do the suspension alignment (assuming it was previously done without a brace fitted)?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim. I have not fitted the strut bar yet - in fact it is in the mail to me after being sent out to be measured by another rennlister who is making a copy. Can you provide the inner and outer dimensions of the slotted holes on your bar.
the reason i am asking is that 1/2" is a ton of difference- i was thinking 1/8-1/4 would be in the ball park but still a lot.
I cannot do a test fit at this time - the car is making it's way back to Wa after 1.5 years in the shop. once it returns i can test it for you (however that will not be soon)
Old 06-22-2005, 03:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
There is a guy on ebay that bought a whole shipment of the 92 cup car strut braces from Germany. They have the same porsche part number as the one on my car.
Does he have any documentation from Porsche motorsports? Car parts are on ebay are counterfeited almost as much as coach handbags.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Rob,

Just measured the strut bar I purchased from Fabspeed. It is a knock off to the Matter bar you purchased. From the inner edge of the inner holes it measures 86mm (33 & 7/7") and the slots are 1/2" wide. I only did a dry fit and it looked like I needed to slot the holes by about 1/2" total. I'll let you know how much exactly once I install it. I am also going to take the weight off the front wheels and see what difference this makes. When I called Fabspeed the gentleman I talked to said he installed one on his 993 and had to file the inside of each hole slightly. That is what I intend to do. Let me know what your "real" Matter bar neasures! Thanks.

Jim C.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hjcarlin72
Rob,

I am also going to take the weight off the front wheels and see what difference this makes.

Jim C.
In another thread, it was suggested that installing a strut bar with the wheels on the ground was the way to go (as the relationship of the towers under load was what you wanted to preserve with the bar).

Marc
Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The real Matter bar measures 33 3/4" center-to-center of the inner most holes. The center-to-center distance between the inner and outer holes was 2 3/8". It fit perfectly on my bare chassis. From your measurements, it does seem like there is 1/2" or so difference between the center-to-center distance between the two bars.

I'll add that only 1 side had slotted holes which allowed for the bar to fit over the canted studs of the upper camber plate. I don't believe the slotted holes are for "adjustability".
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
In another thread, it was suggested that installing a strut bar with the wheels on the ground was the way to go (as the relationship of the towers under load was what you wanted to preserve with the bar).

Marc
It would seem to me that we would want to preserve the relationaship of the strut attach points in the car as it was manufactured on the chassis jig. When we put weighton the wheels the strut points flex, it is assumed. If we lock the points before the weight is added we do not have a stress already built into the chassis which I assume would be better. Just my $0.02 worht.

Jim C.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
I searched and id not find anything on ebay. Do yo have his listing number?

Jim C.

Quick Reply: RSR Struct Brace (GT-2 Evo, 95)