Sponsored by:

How to remove cigarette lighter socket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 12:43 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post How to remove cigarette lighter socket

My lighter circuit has a short in it and I want to remove the socket from the dash but I do not see how it comes out. Do I have to remove it from behind?

Rick....
Old 04-03-2002, 03:23 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Rick;

There is a little trick for this, You have to rotate the inner lighter housing 90* while holding the outer trim ring (black) so that it doesn't rotate. What you are trying to do is to free up the housing from the tabs of the trim ring. You can see them with a flash light if you look inside of the housing.

After you have rotated the housing you can pull the housing out of the trim ring. It will be tough because you will be also pulling off the push on wire connector. YOU MUST Pull the fuse prior to doing this. If you cannot get the housing out, you will most likely have to pull your radio out, my hand are to big to get past the deck from the underside.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:36 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will the wire definitely come off, and is it too short to put back on when reinserting the socket? That would mean that I have to be able to reach the back to put the socket back in later.

Rick....
Old 04-03-2002, 03:50 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Rick;

The connector will come off, you have to remember that the lighter lamp is also incorporated into the connector. With the housing and trim ring out the connector will come out. It is tight and I have used a set of pliers to hold the connector while pushing the housing back in. I'd rather rotate the tires or replace the front pads before doing this.
The following users liked this post:
LimeyBoy (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: How to remove cigarette lighter socket