Sponsored by:

Replaced Factory Stereo/Quick ?? on green wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:04 PM
Gonzo30
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Replaced Factory Stereo/Quick ?? on green wire

Ok I have a 93 C2 that I just installed Blaupunkt stereo in it. I've heard I need to deal with the green aarm wire from the factory head unit. I've done an extensive search & only found that I need to ground it. Is that information correct? TIA
Old 03-31-2002, 11:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Gonzo;

Welcome to the board. Yes you need to ground it. Also, don't forget to provide power to the antenna amp (Black wire).
Old 04-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Gonzo30
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply! Would cutting any excess wire off of the green wire & wrapping it in electrical tape be a sufficient way of grounding it? TIA
Old 04-01-2002, 04:20 AM
jfkaminsky
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

no- that would short it. Find a suitable place on metal and ground it there. The firewall should be a suitable place- you may have to scratch a little paint off to get a good contact. You might also try connecting it to the wires that are already grounded- just trace them 'till you find the one that is attached to a ground connection.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Chris Galtress
Intermediate

I recently replaced my stereo and when I did I grounded the green wire. After doing so my alarm LEDs in the door lock posts flashed a "double blink" According to my manual this indicated a problem with one of the alarm circuits. I was also experiencing current drain from this circuit of approx. 40 mA.

I contacted Adrian via private email and this was his reply:

"I will address your slight problem with the stereo first. A very common occurence. You see there is an insulated alarm switch on the rack of the radio or a level switch inside the radio. This is a green wire. You have earthed this wire or damaged the insulator on the radio rack earthing it out. Unfortunately when you do this you basically short the alarm to earth and get the problems you are. You need to find this green wire and insulate it."

So I went back in, removed this from ground, wrapped it in electrical tape and now the LEDs flash only once like they should and the current drain went away too.

Not trying to be contradictory but this worked for me.

The good news is that there are only 2 possible configurations...you should be able to quickly determine which one is correct for you.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Replaced Factory Stereo/Quick ?? on green wire