Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is the best roll bar setup for the RS America for the occasional DE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005 | 09:36 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Post So what is the best roll bar setup for the RS America for the occasional DE?

After seeing the "big crash" post today, it's really got me thinking that a basic roll bar would be a good idea even if I only do 2-4 DEs per year. I was looking at this Weekender" bar from Das Sport.

It looks like virtually any bar is going to require some TIG welding in the RS America since I don't have rear seatbelts. What do you recommend?
Old 05-24-2005 | 10:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Call DAS and ask them what they have that would be bolt-in. I had the DAS bar for a cabriolet when I tracked my cab and liked it.
Old 05-24-2005 | 10:21 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom W
Call DAS and ask them what they have that would be bolt-in. I had the DAS bar for a cabriolet when I tracked my cab and liked it.
I called them today and it appears I can't do anything without a welder. Neither of their real tecnical guys were there when I called, though, so I have a message in to have them call me tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2005 | 12:31 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

If you pull out the rear luggage dump there are two HUGE bolts that might be useable. I can post pictures when I'm back home on Friday.
Old 05-25-2005 | 08:11 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If you pull out the rear luggage dump there are two HUGE bolts that might be useable. I can post pictures when I'm back home on Friday.
By rear luggage dump, do you mean the storage bins? If so, pictures would be very helpful.
Old 05-25-2005 | 04:28 PM
Flagg
Racer

I hear that rear storage bin weights a lot. I have debated removing mine, but I have a really nice installation of a CD changer mounted to the underside of the shelf.

As far as the roll bar - Make sure you really want one...........BUT If you get one make sure it is a nice one, that adds to the quality and look of the car. I have seen your car, and it is such a beautiful example of an RS America.

Flagg
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:07 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I think my rear storage shelf weighed about 24 pounds. I took it out and also have cat and primary muffler bypasses. All that weight savings and more came back by adding a Autopower bolt-in roll bar.
The carpet needs to be cut to properly install the roll bar, but if carefully thought through, the carpet can be reglued around the roll bar legs so that it looks right again. Also, you will need to completely remove at least one seat to get the roll bar in. The roll bar was professionally installed. Afterward I could see about 4 ways I might have screwed it up had I tried to do it myself. Yes, you have to drill through metal with a bolt-in.
Old 05-26-2005 | 10:32 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

RedRS - get a Safety Devices bolt-in (yes, still requires some welding of the base plates) roll bar, so that when "a few DE's" turns into all out racing, you can just order the rest of the cage!
Old 05-27-2005 | 02:53 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The bolt in the rear luggage dump (there is a plastic cap covering it) is the same diameter as the front seat belt bolt but the head is twice as thick. I have no idea if it was for a rear-seat belt or if you can use it for a cage.

Quick Reply: So what is the best roll bar setup for the RS America for the occasional DE?