Sponsored by:

Big stone hit inside the rear arch :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Big stone hit inside the rear arch :-(

Dammit. Out today and going past a quarry a hard stone flicked up inside the left hand rear arch. It has burst the paint out from underneath and created a high spot in the arch.

I'm absolutely gutted because my car is (was) a concourse example.

What is the best course of action to get it fixed. I would like advice as to whether the whole wing will need painting or if my body man can localise the area?

The whole car was stripped back to a shell only a year ago and repainted so the finish is new and unfaded.

Not a happy fellow tonight - anyone know if you can get stone guards for inside the rear arches? !
Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Julian, is there actually 'missing' paint involved, or just a lump?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:17 PM
964RS
Instructor

This is unfortunately a big issue with the RS (the real RS) that don't have the inner arches. On my RS I have painted a thick layer of rustprotection just where the stones usually hits and I haven't had any problems so far.

Although this doesn't help you at the moment it might be a thing to do in the future.

BTW nice color on your RS.

Best regards
Anders
Old 05-15-2005, 05:42 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I've got a few on both sides. I've wondered the about the same thing. I suspect repairing it properly would require the little dent to be tapped back down, sanded and re-painted over the area of damage. I tried tapping some foam up in the inner well, bu tit just comes off when you run the car. Seems like some type of spray-on coating might work to minimze to beating, but I have no idea what product might work.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Julian
Sorry to hear about this, really annoying when you,ve not long since had it painted. If the dent appears as a lump with a starburst cracking of the paint it may be worth trying the Dentmaster/Dentsaway route. But and it's a big but, you need to satisfy yourself the person you find to do the job is used to working on this type of car. The steel used on these cars is considerably thicker than that used on most modern cars, so is harder to "work" You need to know how long the person has been doing paintless dent removal and who their current satisfied clients are. If they are all V***hall or F**d dealers be wary. You want someone doing Jags' BMW's Audis etc. There's a lot of operators out there who should have have spurs on their boots
Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I know someone who covers Cheshire with a DenTec franchise and does a brilliant job. Paint must be intact, though.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:05 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

at least, it is not as bad as this.....I am sure it will be okay, two months ago a large stone took out big piece my front glass. Thank God for insurance.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=f...0--vs--porsche
Old 05-16-2005, 04:33 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

The paint is star cracked from underneath if you see what I mean?

What I'm interested to find out is if the bodyshops can paint just the damaged area and then blend in with sandpaper and cutting compound or if in fact they will want to paint the whole panel because this would be a damned nuisance!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 AM
wee473
3rd Gear

Hi Julian,have a very similar thing on my 92 Turbolook,picked up a six inch nail in my left rear which then got flung out up into the arch and left a slight raise in the paint and very slight crazing.
Its been bugging me for 9 months,i know its there but am reluctant to get it done by these Dentmaster type people as i am scared that it will look worse !
Really dont want to paint the whole arch,can anyone recommend a GOOD repairer along the south coast?
Regards and sympathy,steve
Old 05-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Hi Steve! It's annoying isn't it!

Anyhow - FWIW I had a mark fixed on my other car (metallic paint, even!!) and the Chips away guy did it perfectly I have to say!

I am going to give him a call and offer him twice his ordinary rate if he gets it perfect - then afterwards I was thinking about that expanding foam stuff that builders use - but then I got worried about creating a moisture trap!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:34 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Had this happen to my engine compartment lid when the little idler wheel that detects whether the fan belt is intact exploded. Perfect little Mt Fuji shaped "pimple" with the paint split. Dent repair guys wouldn't do it with the paint not intact. Body shop guys said a blend would look like just that, although your paint is fresher than mine so YMMV. Ended up respraying the whole lid. Sorry.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Bugger - course, if the wing does need painting then we're looking at bumper off, side trims off, bloody window out (again!) aaargh. Aaargh. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Sorry. :-)
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
WilsonAnderson
Advanced

Julian,

You may want to look into a spray in bedliner type product for the underside of your arches. It can be applied as thin as 1/8 inch thick. This can be DIY with proper prep/masking of entire car you want to protect from overspray.

I do not remeber the brand name but we just used 4 cans of spray paint type "rhino lining" on the interior of a motorcycle trailer and 2 months of use later it is holding up very well.

It sprays on, dries, then you apply another layer. Pretty much flat black. Now the flooring and lower walls of the trailer are protected with about 1/8-3/16 of an inch covering. We used it for the non-slip quality, as well as cushioning since we tend to use the trailer as a mobile home on mutli-week adventures and sleeping on the metal flooring was cold and hard.

May not be Porsche quality... but an idea.

Take care,
Wilson
Old 05-18-2005, 01:22 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Julian,
What is supposed to be different in the rear arches of the RS compared to the normal C2/4s? I've never seen an inner rear arch in a 964 or parts catalog (like the plastic pieces for the 993) but I would definitely be interested in such a thing if it existed!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:13 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Julian,
What is supposed to be different in the rear arches of the RS compared to the normal C2/4s? I've never seen an inner rear arch in a 964 or parts catalog (like the plastic pieces for the 993)
That's a good point, now I think of it!

Quick Reply: Big stone hit inside the rear arch :-(