Sponsored by:

Dension DH100ix hard disk MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Manual says it'll play .pls and .m3u playlists - have you been able to convert or import your iPod playlists? I can't find how mine are stored in iTunes - only that I can export them as .txt or .xml files.

Marc

edt: found this http://chimpen.com/itunes2m3u/convert.php
Marc,

Open iTunes... Highlight your song(s) then go to "advanced" then "Convert to MP3" It may not keep all your tags... You may need to rename the song. But it does work!

Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rick - thanks, but you are referring to something else. All my iTunes/iPod songs are already in MP3 format ripped at 192 kbps. I was not talking about converting my songs but rather about converting the playlists that I have created in iTunes (ie. that strip that runs down the left side of iTunes labelled "source" where I have playlists I created called Top rated, 70's classics, OR tunes [nothing raunchy the nurses won't like], etc.). I want to put the playlists from iTunes into this Denison as well as the songs so I don't have to re-create them all using the Manager software they supply. iTunes only lets you export playlists as .xml or .txt files. The Denison will only read .pls or .m3u playlists and the link I supplied will convert the playlists (all files stay as .mp3, of course).

Marc
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
rje_nc29
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc - it's possible but it's a lot of grief....

The process is as follows:
(1) export the iTunes songlist as txt
(2) open the file and change the Location key / value pairs to point at the correct location on the DMP3C (was a hassle as I'd changed the folder structure on the DMP3)
(3) use an m3u converter like this one to convert the text file to an m3u... http://chimpen.com/things/archives/001450.php
(4) import the m3u using the Dension Manager software and save it
(5) open it up in Notepad and correct the file location references (the Dension software corrputs them)

I've done a couple and one of them doesn't work - can't see why but possible I've corrupted one of the transformations and the file's not parsable. All in all though, a lot of hassle (per playlist!)

To create a playlist directly in Manager is easy enough but I know that's not much help

Cheers, Rob

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:53 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an iPod hook-up kit in my 924, and it worked great, but the reality is that remembering to take the iPod in and out of the car becomes a pest after a while. Also if you have the iPod anywhere on view, it is all but an advert to having your window broken by our light fingered chavvy friends. Good though an iPod is in the car, I came to the conclusion that a dedicated in-car hard drive is the way to go.

John H
Old 05-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rje_nc29
....To create a playlist directly in Manager is easy enough but I know that's not much help

Cheers, Rob
Hope this helps.
Rob - why do you need to import the .m3u into the Manager software and then fix the file reference again? Why not just copy the .m3u playlist into the correct directory on the DMP3C - the manual says what directory it looks for playlists in.

Marc
Old 05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
rje_nc29
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The head unit refused to 'play' the .m3u (if you see what I mean). I couldn't see what was wrong with it so I tried importing it into Manager and saving it down to .mra which seems to work. However, I'd rushed the transformation process a bit so it might be something simple which stops the .m3u from being parsable.

I'll give it another crack at the weekend: I fear I may end up throwing it out of the window shortly... )

Rob

Quick Reply: Dension DH100ix hard disk MP3 player