What the hell was that? [Oil pressure]

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What the hell was that? [Oil pressure]

Hello again,

Yesterday we drove about 100 miles of different roads, en the engine was running well as always.

I parked the car yesterday evening at home, with the front side a little up, because my parking lot is a little up hill, 5%.

Today I drove in a different car to work, so the Porsche had a day of rest.
But..... early this evening, we went to a drive of 30 miles for a visit, I started the car, and noticed the following thing:

Engine runs, oil pressure between 3 and 4 the first 2 second but the oil pressure indication lamp [oil can symbol] was still burning, and the warning signal ! was also burning.
I waited 5 more seconds, and nothing happend, the oil pressure stil climbing up to 4 but the light still burns.
I stopped the engine, and started the engine again. Now the pressure was the same as before, and after 2 seconds the light stopped burning.

Everything was fine again.
During the drive in warm up phase and in real hot condition was the pressure as usual and the light never burned and pressure never gets under 1.2 bar
This never happened before, even not after two weeks of no use.
Questions:

Was this a stuck oil pressure sensor for the light?

Was this air in the oil pump from parking on the 5% hill parking lot, which leads the oil to the tail of the engine?

Why oil pressure on the gauge and no pressure on the light? [I know that a 964 has two sensors for oil pressure]

Something worse, or is this a typical 964 issue?

O.k. my technical opinion is a faulty sensor for the light, but I could be wrong.

O.k. I hope somebody had the same experience, and can give me a answer.

The oil level is fine, between min. and max. in hot condition.

Thanks for anybodies response!

Arjan
964 C2 1992 Black

Old 07-16-2002, 02:14 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Arjan,

Never seen this on my car, so I don't think it's a "typical 964 issue." I'm leaning towards a faulty oil pressure warning light switch.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:18 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I concur. This seems to be the oil pressure sender on the way out. Just for info, these oil pressure senders are quite well known to go south when they get really hot and then start working again when cooled. This is not a 964 problem either it is a sender problem seen on many auto types.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Thanks Guys,

This morning I started the car, and normal oil pressure was shown, and the light was out in 1 second.
The same for tonight, driving home.

I called the dealer, and he said, the sensors brake now and then. It was not unusual for them to hear.

Let's see if it will happen again...

Thanks,

Arjan
964 C2 1992 Black. [/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: What the hell was that? [Oil pressure]