Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big stone hit inside the rear arch :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me 6 months ago, had some star lines evidencing cracked paint, spoke to the best dentless man in the state, recomended by almost all the luxury car dealers I rang and he looked at it and said "sorry no can do, I can get it flat and will nearly be able to get it ok but it will always be there". So of to official porsche repairer and $800.00 aus later (they painted the whole rear quarter) it was good as new. And they told me not to waste my time trying spot repair, they said they could get it really good but would not guarantee it for ten years only for two.

And I also looked for a liner, seems silly not to have some protection on such lovely hips but no there is nothing made for the job.

Can someone who knows 993's tell us if that part will go close because if it will it would be worth the trouble fettling it to fit.

Michael Gibney
Old 05-18-2005, 02:38 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Just an idea for a cheap and durable fix, the roofers have a rubberized coating for sealing flat roofs. It comes in gallon and larger cans. A 1/8" coating of that would not weigh too much, and it would stop the small rocks from raising dimples.

I know the feeling. I had the same damage on my engine lid from an exploding AC belt. I touched it up, but you can still see it.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
JEJ 149
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, bought my car with a small but curious bump on the offisde hip, and I have long wondered what caused it. Now I know!

I have a bare metal paint chip just under the front light and am about to use Chips Away in Basingstoke. I will report on the outcome.

Best wishes

Julian
Old 05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the interior of my Jeep Rhinolined and suspect that, or the do-it-yourself Herculiner would offer some protection. I know someone's already suggested it, but I can tell you it's pretty stout stuff if the surface is prepped well. On the floor of my Jeep, it's about 1/8" to 1/4" thick, really tough and weighs next to nothing.... I asked about the weight when they did my Jeep and he indicated the amount needed to cover the entire interior would weigh less than 10 lbs... To do the wheel wells would be much, much less than that.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

As an update the dentmaster guy came out and did an incredible job on it - you just can't see it! Just paint to go now and I'll be happy!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:46 AM
asbi
Racer

Julian,
Are you going to use a bodyshop for the paint or a chip/dent service?

I had a small blend in job done on my previous guards C2 by Lloyds Autobody at Man airport and was very pleased with the results.

Still not sure how they did it since my paint was original there was no clear coat (lacquer) to allow the normal blend process. From memory your car has been re-painted I think (??) and therefore will probably have a clear lacquer on top of a red base coat which would make achieving a good blend somewhat easier.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Big stone hit inside the rear arch :-(