Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with radio reception, CR-220

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005 | 03:44 AM
ronone10
Racer

Default Help with radio reception, CR-220

First day owner of a '93 C2 but having problems getting good reception from the CR-220. I only get a strong signal from one FM station. I just had a PPI this afternoon and when I picked it up from the dealer I noticed that the radio needed a 4 digit code. After entering the code, I noticed that I can only pull in one FM station clearly. I know it was working just fine two days ago when I test drove it at the dealer. I read the manual but can't figure out what is causing the poor reception. Any ideas?

Thanks...Ron
'93 C2

Last edited by ronone10; 05-14-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2005 | 09:32 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Ron,

I'd almost lay odds on it being something to do with the power to the antenna booster. The supply should come FROM the radio - I believe the wire is bundled with the antenna signal cable. If the radio has been out (or changed) there's a chance they may not have reconnected it. The antenna is in the front screen - as I'm sure you already know.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-14-2005 | 02:31 PM
investlt
Instructor

I agree with Dave. It is the antenna. Could be the fuse blew or maybe it got disconnected. If you have the two silver keys for removing the CR-220, you can pull it out and verify the connections. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2005 | 03:14 PM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

I have the same issue...94 Targa with the antenna in the windshield. Is there a way to boost the performance (I've checked the connections)?
Thanks.

Paul
Old 05-14-2005 | 10:11 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Had this same problem. Turned out to be the wire to the antenna amplifier. Once connected,i get all sorts of radio stations.
Old 05-15-2005 | 12:13 PM
ronone10
Racer

Thanks for the replies... I don't have the two silver keys. Just bought the '93 C2 two days ago. I will check with the local Porsche dealer to see if they have them...any other sources?

I noticed up on the right side front corner of the dash, in between the window and dash, there is one of those crimp connectors you use to splice two wires together. I was able to pull it up gently but not enough to see where the two wires lead to. Without the ability to get behind the radio, I left it alone.

I ran some errands after this and now I am getting more channels and they are coming clearer. I am guessing this must be the wire coming from the windshield antenna down to what? Could this be the problem, the two wires need to be respliced?

Whatever I did was short lived. The radio went back to one channel. I grabed the connector again and gently moved it around. The stations came back.

As of this morning, it is back to one station. The only positive thing here is that the C2 came with an XM radio. I decided to join last night and now I am a happy camper. Unfortunately, I don't like to leave things undone. The radio is on my short list to fix.

Ron
'93 C2, Guards Red

Last edited by ronone10; 05-15-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2005 | 12:54 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

>I grabed the connector again and gently moved it around.

I believe this is the connector from the windshield attenna to the wiring to the amplifier. In my car, also a '93, there's no splice there but very visible is a connector of sorts. When I had this problem it was because the wire to the antenna amplifier to the radio was never connected. Once connected, it worked fine. From your description, sounds like you've got a bad connection at the windshield. Might have to remove the windshield.
Old 05-15-2005 | 02:19 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Do a search under my user name and look for "dash top removal and antennae booster location 101". I describe how to get to the antena and the general anatomy of the booster. It's quite easy.

Jaime
Old 05-15-2005 | 10:15 PM
investlt
Instructor

Ron,

Here's a link to Becker USA. They have the keys and lots of other things. There is also a message board for posting questions. They are very helpful if you e-mail them questions.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Help with radio reception, CR-220