Sponsored by:

Magnetic Number Residue Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 04:55 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Number Residue Removal?

I just got back from the track and took off my magnetic numbers. It rained pretty hard at the track so everything got wet including the numbers. Under the numbers is some sort of residue or a discoloring of the paint on the doors. So far this is what I’ve tried to get it off

1. Washed the car
2. Used some bug and tar remover
3. Waxed and buffed it off with my electric buffer
4. Used some scratch remover / rubbing compound and buffed that off

The numbers were clean when I put them on. The discoloring is only visible when you look at it from an angle with the sun just right. Looking straight on it looks fine. When looking at it from an angle though it is really visible. The magnetic number piece is the flexible type that is black. The residue gunk is only on the passenger door. It was on both but the 4 steps above seemed to work on the drivers door.

Can any of you guys think of anything else I might use to get this stuff off. Thanks mark
Old 05-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Search the archives - I read a thread about that and it turned out it was moisture trapped in the paint that VERY gentle heating with a hairdryer or heatgun removed.

Marc
Old 05-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it happen just from dew when I left the numbers on overnight (when I tracked my 993). The heat of the day removed it in the end. I'd guess a hair dryer would work too.

I took my numbers off at night if there was any chance of rain or dew. Just make sure you put them back on right away in the morning so they have plenty of time to warm and adhere to the car. The only time I had any come off was when it was a cold morning and I stuck them on immediately before going out. I usually did not tape the leading edge. Now they are on "permanently" and I don't have to worry.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think your right about the moisture. It does look like moisture trapped now that I think about it. At least both doors are very clean now. I think I’ll take the car out and let it sit in the sun tomorrow and hopefully that will do it. The sun down here in Florida is hot enough it’ll be like a heat gun. Thanks for the info, I was just freaking out.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

It is moisture.

I make magnetics for all types of applications and one of the main points that I really try to get across to people, is to remove them every day. The moisture that gets trapped under the magnetic can actually lift the paint if the mag is left on for too long. Paint, although seemingly a sealed applicant, is, actually porous and, will, hold water.

Duncan
Old 05-08-2005, 11:03 AM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll never leave them on over night again and if it rains at the track, I'll take them off then as well. I would have never thought that moisture could get in there and do that but I know now. Just went and looked at the car and by just sitting in the hot garage that seems to have gotten rid of the moisture.

I have to say that this forum is more valuable than all my different 964 manuals put together. Thanks again, Mark

Quick Reply: Magnetic Number Residue Removal?