Sponsored by:

Help - C4 lateral diff. slave cylinder leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Patrick L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help - C4 lateral diff. slave cylinder leaks

I posted this in another thread, but didn't describe it clearly and look a bit complicated, so I started a new thread.

My 1990 C4 is leaking at the transmission. Technician found a small hole (for ventilation?) on lateral slave cylinder (928-332-775-12) is leaking transmission fluid. He then took the cylinder off and saw that rubber sleeve inside was broken into pieces. So we assume the leak is due to broken rubber sleeve, that allowed the transmission fluid coming out through the small hold on the cylinder.

Since I can't find the rubber sleeve in the part chart, I assume the rubber should come with the cylinder, and ordered a slave cylinder from Sunset Porsche in States. I asked them to send me the photo of the part before shipping, to make sure that rubber sleeve is attached. I got the photo Friday, and there is NO sleeve! (see attached picture)

Here comes the question. Anyone knows where is that sleeve in the part chart, if it didn't come with the slave cylinder?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

How much was that part?

Sorry, when I took mine (by mistake thinking it was the clutch slave cylinder) out I did not see any sleeve...

Old 05-07-2005, 03:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Neither the dealer parts catalog nor the workshop manuals show a "dust sleeve" similar to the clutch slave cylinder. Is the sleeve in the photo below similar to what you had?
Old 05-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Soooo now I have one more part that needs to be replace... this one is going to be a $#$%itch.. since the hammer is needed for bleeding... and it feeds from the same brake fluid... so best to get this done quick.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

We need others to check, I think it is more a case of Patrick's prior mechanic or PO trying to fix a leak without paying to fix the leak (i.e. add a rubber sleeve instead of replacing the cylinder). If there was fluid coming out of a small hole on the cylinder side and mixing inside the transmission I can't imagine that being very good for the transmission (brake fluid + tranny fluid?). Anyway, the picture I posted is NOT the lateral cylinder, just a photo I had showing a rubber sleeve (clutch slave cylinder).
Old 05-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Patrick L
Instructor

Mine has a sleeve similar to Jason's clutch slave cylinder. It was attached to the transmission case when I took my slave out, so it did look like what Wacuko shown.
Jason suggested to try 928 332 051 02 last time. I found it on part chart but didn't look like the sleeve at first sight. I checked it again last night, and realize it may be the one because the sleeve was attached on the tranny case instead of slave cylinder.
Can anyone help me to confirm if this 928 332 051 02 is a rubber sleeve? From the part chart it's hard to tell what it is actually, and I don't want to order it then receive a bolt or nut.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have chaged both of mine (diff locks) and neither new or original had the sleeve...hope it helps.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:24 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Patrick
When I got mine it didn't come with a sleeve either - really bad pic of part no enclosed. The part you refer to must be part of the transmission ??

Sorry about the price info before - checked back and the one you have is about the same cost as the one I got from design 911 - not 20% of the price!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:39 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

sorry forgot the pic................
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Patrick L
Mine has a sleeve similar to Jason's clutch slave cylinder. It was attached to the transmission case when I took my slave out, so it did look like what Wacuko shown.
Jason suggested to try 928 332 051 02 last time. I found it on part chart but didn't look like the sleeve at first sight. I checked it again last night, and realize it may be the one because the sleeve was attached on the tranny case instead of slave cylinder.
Can anyone help me to confirm if this 928 332 051 02 is a rubber sleeve? From the part chart it's hard to tell what it is actually, and I don't want to order it then receive a bolt or nut.

Thanks!
That could be the part... it is listed in PET as a bellow:

Keep us posted in your progress with this. And if you are able, try to take photos along the way. I need to go back in and change the cylinder. Would be nice to have all the parts in hand before doing so.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Youcef,
Is there a sleeve inside your tranny case? It looks like the sleeve is not attached to the cylinder but tranny case.

Wachuko,
Thanks! "bellows" sounds like what I saw in my car.

Mark,
Why you changed your slave cylinder? What's the problem?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:35 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Hi Patrick,

One of tjhe last problems remaining after my "incident" and the big work (!) It had a leak in it discovered just before I picked up the car from Universal. Few others but I'll let you know about those off line I think.....

Who is doing this work for you? - it sounds like you're not getting a lot of help.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk about reviving an old thread! I'm about to undertake this, as I am leaking gear oil from the relief hole in the lateral slave cylinder.

It looks like I can remove a bracket and pull the slave out of the way w/o breaking any seals on the hydraulic fluid (so I can avoid a bleed and need for the hammer), but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Hoping someone has experience actually replacing the bellow -- I'd hate to find that for some reason it's not externally replaceable, or that I'm going to have a heck of a time getting the slave in with the system still under pressure.

Thoughts, experiences?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed

Just a quick follow-up, replaced it without issue or having to break the hard lines. There was enough room to comfortably back out the slave after removing the near clamp. Removing the bellow showed a tear at the very tip. Good thing this wasn't a condom!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Let me see if I understand this. Lock was leaking, you changed the bellow. But that only contains the leak from the lock, correct? The root cause of the problem is a leaking lock. The bellow is just there to avoid contamination of the shaft to avoid damage to the internal seals in the lock.

I am asking because I also have the same situation, very small leak that I only detected when I took out that lock by mistake.

Or what you got was a repair kit for the lock that included the bellow?? If so, where did you get it?

Also, can you confirm the part number ordererd. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Help - C4 lateral diff. slave cylinder leaks