Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the parcel shelf be removed on 964 cab?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002 | 10:12 AM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Post Can the parcel shelf be removed on 964 cab?

Hi Folks, Nice to join you and this sure looks like an excellent list. I'm sort of an old-fashioned Porsche guy (a bunch of 356s and earlier 911s to 911SCs in my history), so the acquistion last week of a clean little 94 964 cab has been an eye-opening experience. (i.e why have I been suffering all these years?!) One thing I do miss, however, are the rear jump seats. I've done a search on your list, and find that they were deleted due to seat belt regs, etc. However, does anyone on the list have any experience taking out the parcel shelf and its fittings? I'm wondering if I can carefully remove all that. I don't want to do any irreversible damage- this car is too nice for that. My goal is to at least have a place for our little girls to ride on an emergency basis. I'm not too keen on the idea of putting either of them up front with the airbag, either. So I'd rather have them back there, just like the good old days!Thanks!
Jeff Ward
1994 946 Cab and a bunch of old British motorcycles- too dang cold to ride!
Old 12-07-2002 | 04:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, the parcel shelf can be removed. I removed mine in my RSA, I even installed a seatbelt for my young son. Youj will have to undo your wiring for the lock, but it is an easy task. 30 minutes and your up and running
Old 12-07-2002 | 07:46 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

I might be interested in buying your old parcel shelf. I've got the back seats in '90 C4 and find 'em useless. I'd prefer to have a parcel shelf instead. I'm also planning on adding a rollbar in the car next season which further minimizes the usefulness of the backseat.

Contact me privately at terry@terryriedel.com
Old 12-07-2002 | 08:19 PM
PhilW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Terry,

I have a 93RSA which came with a parcel shelf. I had to remove it when I had a rollbar installed. So you may want to wait on the parcel shelf.

By next seaon do you mean 2003? If so you may want to get the process started. Mine took three months from start to finish. I couldn't be happier with the finished product, it looks like it came with the car.

Good Luck

Phil W.
Old 12-08-2002 | 11:30 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Red face

3 months!?!?!
We're talking about a rollbar here, not a full race cage. What took your shop so long? I'm assuming they built one from scratch. There are plenty of companies like FVD-USA that sell bolt-in rollover bars for the 964.

Not to hijack this thread into a discussion of rollover protection, but how about posting some photos of your installation.

Quick Reply: Can the parcel shelf be removed on 964 cab?